cannastop

How are Dollar Theaters Counted in Gross?

I've heard of dollar theaters (or $3 theaters) being called second run theaters. I assumed they didn't count towards the gross of the movie because I've heard of people claiming that a discount theater was still showing a movie that was closed on box office mojo.

Edited by cannastop

On 2016-05-27 at 9:35 PM, cannastop said:

I've heard of dollar theaters (or $3 theaters) being called second run theaters. I assumed they didn't count towards the gross of the movie because I've heard of people claiming that a discount theater was still showing a movie that was closed on box office mojo.

Whenever a movie "closes" it generally just means that the studio or any other company has stopped tracking it. Some studios stop tracking their films even before they reach dollar theaters, often when that movie has bombed badly. Otherwise dollar theaters are counted towards the overall gross which is why you see many films having large bumps on some random weekend.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1