Incarnadine

Cineplex Odeon offers as a means to predict underperforming movies

Cineplex Odeon regularly sends me offers for bonus Scene points or stuff like free popcorn for certain movies if I buy a ticket early or on opening weekend.

It's clear this is usually for "big" movies they expect will open weak, sometimes for limited release movies.

Several recent offers were 300 bonus Scene points for buying a ticket to Warcraft, Ninja Turtles and Alice: Through the looking glass. Last week it was free popcorn if I bought a ticket for BFG.

This week it's 300 bonus Scene points for Ghostbusters, but only if the ticket is bought on or before July 8.

From this point on I'll post these offers from Cineplex and we'll see just how well their track record is for weak openings.

• Like 3

Cineplex is offering 200 bonus Scene points for Bad Moms for tickets purchased between July 27 and Aug 11.

This is a bit of an odd offer compared to the norm, the extra points are lower than usual and the time frame is also longer as it's usually just for opening weekend.

Also, the movie looks decent and while it's not expected to be a huge blockbuster it will likely do well for its budget of just $20 million.