Jump to content
MrFanaticGuy34

101 Dalmatians (1961)

Recommended Posts

The 17th Disney animated feature in the "Disney-line up". It was also the first Disney film to use the xerography that would become frequent for the Disney-films from the 60's & the 70's.

 

At the time in it's release in 1961, it was among the top 10 most successful films of that year. However, thanks to the re-releases it got over the years, it has been bumped up to #1 as the biggest film of 1961 with $144M DOM & $215M WW.

 

Also the adjusted gross puts it at a whopping $864M in today's money. Second to only Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

 

Thoughts?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Also the adjusted gross puts it at a whopping $864M in today's money. Second to only Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

 

Thoughts?

 

This is one of the few pre-1980 movies that we have the full list of re-releases and grosses yet BOM still adjusts as if all of its 144,8m gross came from 1961 to arrive at the unbelievable 864m adjusted.

 

If you adjust with when the re-releases happened and how much each made http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=releases&id=101dalmations.htm

         gross  adjusted

1961: 14m - 175,5m

1969: 18m - 109,7m

1979: 19m - 65,5m

1985: 33m - 80,5m

1991: 60,8m - 125m

 

So the real adjusted number is 556,2 m. Still one of Disney's biggest hits but it's far from the 12th biggest movie of all time. Adjusted numbers without a full breakdown of re-releases are major bullshit. I bet if we also had a full breakdown of Snowhite's re-releases that would shave several hundred millions of its 925m adjusted number and prove that the Lion King is actually the biggest animation of all time.

 

 

Edited by Joel M
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/5/2017 at 5:46 AM, Joel M said:

 

This is one of the few pre-1980 movies that we have the full list of re-releases and grosses yet BOM still adjusts as if all of its 144,8m gross came from 1961 to arrive at the unbelievable 864m adjusted.

 

If you adjust with when the re-releases happened and how much each made http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=releases&id=101dalmations.htm

         gross  adjusted

1961: 14m - 175,5m

1969: 18m - 109,7m

1979: 19m - 65,5m

1985: 33m - 80,5m

1991: 60,8m - 125m

 

So the real adjusted number is 556,2 m. Still one of Disney's biggest hits but it's far from the 12th biggest movie of all time. Adjusted numbers without a full breakdown of re-releases are major bullshit. I bet if we also had a full breakdown of Snowhite's re-releases that would shave several hundred millions of its 925m adjusted number and prove that the Lion King is actually the biggest animation of all time.

 

 

 

I noticed this discrepancy about 12 years ago and even e-mailed Brandon Gray (who was still running BOM at that point) about it but never received any response from him. 

 

As far as all-time adjusted lists go, the one Daniel came up with at BoxOfficeReport is much more accurate than BOM (which relies on inaccurate data from Mr. Showbiz):

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyways....still one of Disney's greatest classics. Out of all the characters in the 101 Dalmatians-franchise....the one people remember the most is Cruella De-Vil.

 

It's one of those must-see Disney animated films for the kids. ?

 

It even lead to 2 live action films like the 1996 version and it's sequel that came out in 2000.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

It even lead to 2 live action films like the 1996 version and it's sequel that came out in 2000.

 

There's also a project about Cruella at Disney (what Maleficent was to Sleeping Beauty probably) that might happen. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Joel M said:

 

There's also a project about Cruella at Disney (what Maleficent was to Sleeping Beauty probably) that might happen. 

 

True. :)

 

However, will Emma Stone manage to capture what the original villain so great? Cause i think Glenn Close did a very good job playing Cruella in the 1996-version. Way back before live action remakes of Disney animated films, became a common thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.