baumer

Rings (2017)

Grade it  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

• Community Manager

Competently directed but the story here is pretty bad, the characters are two-dimensional and not interesting, and many of the "scares" (although I was never really scared outside of one jump shot) seemingly happened for no reason besides this is a horror movie and horror movie has scary stuff happening. Hard to care about anything that's happening and the final twist where she becomes Samara is really lol-worthy.

D-

• Like 1

so I rewatched The Ring 2 on Sunday and The Ring on Monday.  Did some light reading on the concept.  I wanted to be as prepared as possible for this.  Saw Rings tonight (Tuesday)...  The first 1/3 was a solid B+ for me (always seems to be the case for most crappy horror films).  The last 2/3 really falters and then the end catches up.  It features the same dragged out investigation like from the first Ring, except the first one was good!  I would definitely call this a sequel and it has some good ideas.  The good bumps it above the 69% D+ hurdle and into C/C- territory.  A step above Bye Bye Man.  72.

• Like 1