franfar

How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=grinch.htm

This movie holds a special place in my heart. It was entertaining, zany, and cheesy as a kid, and I still like it on rewatches 

How the hell did this make 260m at the time, 425m adjusted? Was it CARREY POWAH?

Edited by franfar
  • Like 1

And it opened the same day as Rugrats in Paris, which was no slouch with a $22.7 million opening and $76.5 million total.

I was never really a big fan of the film, even as a kid, but I get why it connected with viewers: it adapted a classic with multigenerational appeal without dropping a steaming deuce on it (as Cat in the Hat would do three years later), it had a huge ad campaign, and it had Jim Carrey in a time when he was one of Hollywood's biggest draws.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

And it opened the same day as Rugrats in Paris, which was no slouch with a $22.7 million opening and $76.5 million total.

I was never really a big fan of the film, even as a kid, but I get why it connected with viewers: it adapted a classic with multigenerational appeal without dropping a steaming deuce on it (as Cat in the Hat would do three years later), it had a huge ad campaign, and it had Jim Carrey in a time when he was one of Hollywood's biggest draws.

Aw man I loved that movie too

3 hours ago, franfar said:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=grinch.htm

This movie holds a special place in my heart. It was entertaining, zany, and cheesy as a kid, and I still like it on rewatches 

How the hell did this make 260m at the time, 425m adjusted? Was it CARREY POWAH?

The movie had a massive marketing push and Carrey was EVERYWHERE promoting the movie. He hit all of the talk shows discussing his extensive makeup process.

• Like 1

Perhaps this has something to do with the fact that I didn't start seriously following box office until 2001-2002-ish, but it still amazes me that The Grinch held nearly even in its second weekend (thanks in large part to the fact that it was Thanksgiving weekend, but still), then dropped slightly less than 50% over the following frame. To put it into perspective, the first Harry Potter film saw a more normal drop over Thanksgiving one year later (but still broke Grinch's records for biggest second weekend and biggest Thanksgiving weekend despite burning off significantly more demand in its record opening over the previous weekend) and then had a massive drop over the next weekend.