baumer

The Glass Castle (2017)

Grade it  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

The Glass Castle is a fascinating beast of a film. A stunning treatise on generational abuse and how parents affect a child's life, Cretton has directed a surprisingly ambiguous melodrama to which there are no clear answers. The direction is strong throughout, evident by the excellent performances delivered in this drama. Harrelson gives one of his best performances yet, and Larson is great in a much smaller role than imagined. The music and cinematography is noteworthy too.

Yet it all pales in comparison to the ending. The first two acts are fantastic, straight-forward melodrama that always engages and is captivating in a naturally heartbreaking sense. Yet the ending becomes something truly bizarre in a memorable way. It's not a bad ending; far from it, it's the most memorable ending a film like this could have. Going into depth on it would be unfair to what Cretton has put together here, as it's something truly special; an ending for the ages that deconstructs the many genres that make up this story. Make sure you stay until the credits start scrolling, because even the post-script moments are important to what Cretton wants to say about abuse, family, and how time affects humanity's wounds.

Even without that ending, The Glass Castle would be a very good melodrama. With it, it becomes an outstanding film, examining why people idolize being different over being good, while also telling a striking story of a girl who becomes a woman and a man who is a monster. Truly, a superb film. B+

I loved the book, but the mixed reviews have kept the movie low on my priority list. Regarding the ending of the book (which I'm guessing comes up in the film as well), I will say that... 

Spoiler

The reveal that they were sitting on $1 million of land the whole time and the mother refused to sell it because "land should stay in the family" was truly crushing. Granted, the parents weren't anywhere near responsible with money on the few occasions when they did have it, but we're talking about a million dollars in the '70s. And yet their mother prioritized her art and principles over her children not starving.

It's almost as depressing as the nonchalant, matter-of-fact descriptions of numerous sexual assaults the author experienced as a minor.

• Like 1