SLAM!

Gosnell: The Trial of America's Biggest Serial Killer | GVN Releasing | October 12th, 2018 | that one film that became the most funded project on IndieGoGo four years ago | *This is NOT a thread for pro-life / pro-choice debates.*

Last week, GVN Releasing, a small faith-based distribution company, released a film called Shine in more than 600 theaters. It had almost no advertisement, causing the film to have one of the worst opening weekend theater averages I've ever seen. But it turns out that GVN Releasing wants to try again, and they might have a film that attracts more of an audience than the last one.

Gosnell: The Trial of America's Biggest Serial Killer is a courtroom drama that tells the true story of an abortionist who was sentenced and imprisoned for illegal late-in-pregnancy abortions and the killing of babies that had already been born alive. The film currently stands as the the most-funded film on the funding platform IndieGogo, a platform the filmmakers turned to when the more prominent funding platform, Kickstarter, allegedly refused to host the funding of the project. The film certainly has the presentation of a low-budget independent film, one with a higher emphasis on the story being told than the filmmaking process itself.

This thread is at the last minute, as the film is coming to theaters this weekend, but I decided to make it anyway, because I have this feeling that it can end up being something that the faith-based audience chooses to see. Perhaps this film can capitalize on the fact that many of the faith-based films before it were flops?

I also felt unafraid to make this thread, because while the film's pro-life viewpoint is undeniably strong, the film is focusing on the chronicling of an American court case, dampening the propaganda feel just enough as to not be as overbearing as other activist films of its type. I can say with certainty that I feel like this film is leagues more innocent than Death of a Nation and The Trump Prophecy, for example. I mean, something's gotta be better about it if the film is being well received enough to have an 80% RT from five critic reviews--an early rating situation that directly mirrors I Can Only Imagine's early RT.

Gosnell: The Trial of America's Biggest Serial Killer releases this weekend against First ManBad Times at the El RoyaleGoosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween, and the expansion of Bleecker Street's period film Colette, as well as the multitude of films from previous weekends. (Personally, I think this film should have tried going wide on the weekend of the 19th, but that's just me.)

Edited by Slambros