acsc1312

Favorite Cinematographer (s)?

Who is/are your favorite cinematographer (s), and what are your favorite scenes from them?

Personally (no order):

Deakins- Jesse James (probably his best work I've seen), NCFOM, etc etc

Pfister- TDK, Inception, The Prestige, Memento, etc etc

Conrad L. Hall- Road to Perdition is arguably the most beautiful movie I've ever seen. Also, Butch Cassidy and American Beauty.

Emmanuel Lubezki- Tree of Life, Children of Men

Janusz Kaminski- Schindler's List, SPR, AI, Munich, Diving Bell

Gordon Willis- The Godfather trilogy

Robert Richardson- Platoon, JFK, The Aviator, IB, Shutter Island, Hugo

Robert Elswit- There Will Be Blood, Good Night and Good Luck, Magnolia, Boogie Nights, Michael Clayton

Up and Comers:

Jeff Cronenweth- Finding his way with Fincher lately: TGWTDT, TSN, Fight Club

Matthew Libatique- Black Swan, Requiem for a Dream

Seamus McGarvey- Atonement

Delbonnel- HBP

I think 2007 was the best year of cinematography as a whole that I've ever encountered. Every Oscar nominee was truly worthy of winning the award.

Nice list and topic.Went back through some of my favorite films and put a list together:Vittorio StoraroThe Conformist, Apocalypse Now, Last Tango in Paris, Reds, Dick Tracy, The Last EmperorRoger DeakinsAssassination of Jesse James, Barton Fink, Shawshank Redemption, The Village, No Country for Old Men, O Brother Where Art Thou?Raoul CoutardContempt, A Woman is a Woman, Vivre Sa Vie, Band of Outsiders, Jules and Jim, ZKazuo MiyagawaUgetsu, Rashomon, Sansho the Bailiff, Yojimbo, Street of ShameTonino Delli ColliThe Good the Bad & the Ugly, Once Upon a Time in the West, Once Upon a time in America, Mamma Roma, Gosepl According to St. Matthew, Life is BeautifulGordon WillisThe Godfather Trilogy, Manhattan, The Purple Rose of Cairo, Stardust Memories, Annie HallRobert BurksVertigo, Rear Window, North by Northwest, The Birds, The Trouble with Harry, HondoChristopher DoyleIn the Mood for Love, 2046, Chungking Express, Ashes of Time, Hero, Lady in the WaterRussell MettySpartacus, Imitation of Life, All That Heaven Allows, Touch of Evil, Flower Drum Song, Bringing Up BabyJohn TollThe Thin Red Line, Braveheart, The Last Samurai, Almost Famous, Vanilla Sky, The RainmakerRobert RichardsonHugo, The Aviator, JFK, Inglourious Basterds, Kill Bill, Shutter IslandConrad L. HallRoad to Perdition, Cool Hand Luke, American Beauty, In Cold BloodHarold RossonThe Wizard of Oz, Singin' in the Rain, On the Town, Duel in the SunSven NykvistPersona, The Virgin Spring, Fanny and Alexander, Cries and Whispers, Scenes from a Marriage, What's Eating Gilbert GrapeGabriel FigueroaMaria Candelaria, La Perla, Los Olvidados, The Exterminating AngelOtello MartelliLa Strada, La Dolce Vita, I Vitelloni, Stromboli, Nights of CabiriaAsakazu NakaiSeven Samurai, Throne of Blood, Ran, High and Low, IkiruJanusz KaminskiSchindler's List, A.I. Artificial Intelligence, Saving Private Ryan, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, Catch Me If You Can, MunichGeoffrey Unsworth2001: A Space Odyssey, Cabaret, Superman, Superman II, Murder on the Orient ExpressWilliam H. DanielsGrand Hotel, Camille, The Naked City, Harvey, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, NinotchkaRobert ElswitThere Will Be Blood, Punch-Drunk Love, Magnolia, Boogie Nights, Michael ClaytonVilmos ZsigmondThe Deer Hunter, Heaven's Gate, McCabe & Mrs. Miller, Close Encounters of the Third KindJoseph RuttenbergGigi, Julius Ceaser, The Philadelphia Story, Mrs. Miniver, Fury, A Day at the RacesDon BurgessForrest Gump, Contact, Source Code, Cast Away, The MuppetsDavid TattersallThe Green Mile, The Majestic, Star Wars Prequel Trilogy, Speed Racer

Edited by JarJarBinks
  • Like 1