baumer

Ad Astra (2019)

Grade it  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

So i watched this at home after seeing no trailers and wow. We start off with a bit of star trek, delve a little into total recall before being lunged into Fury road.... on the moon, and it's only been 40 minutes. What is this masterpiece? As i followed Brad Pitt's pin point Ryan Gosling expression through a journey of interstellar visuals and face eating space monkeys i begin to wonder what mystery lies ahead.

We finally get toward the end of the film and i begin to realise this Liv Tyler seems to be a curse for boyfriend's fathers in space. No wonder Brad wanted nothing to do with her. As the film comes to its Gravity esque closure with a bit of space surfing and nuke riding i begin to think this jumbled parts of all those great space movies we love had just been blended into a cocktail of juicy sci-fi goodness, and i loved it. 

That being said i can see why this movie flopped. A sci fi movie attracting sci fi fans with a synopsis surrounded in mystery of looking for alien life, and the underlining message is fuck exploration, cherish what we have rather than reaching into the unknown. That would be like if Interstellar took the characters to the wormhole and Cooper just went 'shall we just go home? I Miss my daughter'