Capone (2020)  

4 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

Trank can take solace in knowing this is a much better flick than Fant4stic. Other than that though, I can’t really think of any high notes to give this. I admire Trank’s ambitions and I can see where he was attempting to do here, but everything just combines to make something so aimless and messy. More than half of this film is dedicated to depicting Capone’s nightmarish visions that he frequently gets and after a while, they grow tiresome.

Hardy’s performance is... quite something. I’m not even gonna bother commenting on it; it’s just so out there and bizarre. It also provided a lot of unintentionally hilarious moments that I really don’t think Trank intended for. Well, I shouldn’t say they weren’t intended because there were definitely times that I could tell Trank was aiming for laughs. They just came at all the inappropriate times for me, which is never good. 

Capone is a bit of a mess, if an admirable one at that. I don’t think Trank is a bad director. There are parts in here that show he has a vision but that vision is buried under a directionless story. Suffice to say, I finished this one feeling pretty underwhelmed.

C-

4 hours ago, Rorschach said:

Trank can take solace in knowing this is a much better flick than Fant4stic.

That is not a high bar to cross.

And as far as ambitions go...what matters is not having ambitions..any fool can have ambitions..what matters is bringing them into reality. That is hard, very hard.

From all I have read, this film is not going to reignite Trank's career.

Reason why major studios are avoiding Trank like the  plague is not that  he made a flop film..most directors make a couple of flops  in their career,...but his behavior duing the filming and, of    course, his behavior during the release,ending in that career sucidal tweet. Don't see Trank making a come back any time soon.

Not bad but still disappointing. I find in particular that the film dwells too much on the FBI investigation when it does not add anything to the story while the relationship between Capone and her family deserved more depth.

Edited by avensis