Eric Prime

Best Supporting Actor Predictions - 2021

This feels like the most confounding category already 

So far Jesse Plemmons probably stands best chance: well-positioned film, Cumberbatch in Lead, career momentum 

Cooper is a major star and Academy darling. That in addition to the on-set photos should give him better chance than Safdie and Penn

Jenkins has a better role in The Humans but that’s a small A24 film compared to Nightmare Alley

I am not confident in Last Duel but Driver has already been nominated twice and is in a career peak. He has a showy “villain” role which should pop if the film is strong 

Cooper, Soggy Bottom

Driver, The Last Duel
Jenkins, Nightmare Alley

Plemmons, Power of the Dog

Rylance, Don’t Look Up

• Like 1

On 9/22/2021 at 7:05 AM, RRA said:

All this Eternals/Oscar talk and I had this thought: if Disney had cash to burn and ambition to spare, they would throw the dice and actually mount a serious awards campaign.

for Tony Leung.

A supporting actor nod would fit that tradition once upon a time of popular movies with well-reviewed character actor roles that captured people’s imagination. Alec Guinness (SW), Pat Morita (The Karate Kid), Jack Palance (City Slickers*), Sean Connery (Untouchables*), Dean Stockwell (Married to the Mob), Tommy Lee Jones* (The Fugitive),  John Malkovich** (In the Line of Fire), etc. And yes of course, Heath Ledger* (TDK)

Leung has never been Oscar nominated (tough for foreign film actors to break through.) That would bring some sort of nice career appreciation notice for him. 

*=Winner 

**=Malkovich actually lost to TLJ

My friend and I were half joking/half serious about this a couple days ago.  I completely 100% agree.  He's clearly the best part of the movie, and I would argue that his performance is the make or break element of the film.  So why not give him a push? When folks push back, just remember the Academy they love giving "we're sorry we messed up the first time" Awards, and this is really for when y'all couldn't figure out if Lust/Caution was an American, Chinese, or Taiwanese production in 2007; thus blocking the film from any Awards.  LOL.

• Like 1