Eric Prime

Tick, Tick...Boom! (2021)

Tick, Tick...Boom!  

8 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

of course the one scene all the theater nerds loved (diner scene) is the worst thing i've seen in a movie this year.

there are 3 or 4 good songs, energetic filmmaking and i always like andrew garfield but from what i gather here jonathan larson just isn't interesting enough for a musical about his life.

A solid and at times rather spellbinding directorial debut from Lin-Manuel Miranda. Having produced a number of successful musicals himself, he clearly has a strong grasp on the genre, and he brings an energy to the proceedings that allows for an interesting take on the biopic. This is the performance of Andrew Garfield's career so far: he proves to be a surprisingly strong singer and brings tremendous levels of passion to a part that could've easily fallen flat in the wrong hands. Any Oscar buzz he gets is absolutely deserved. He's also backed by a strong supporting cast, with especially effective performances from Alexandra Shipp and Robin de Jesus (Bradley Whitford's Stephen Sondheim also provides an poignant presence in his few appearances watching this the day after he passed away). There's a couple of missteps (the aforementioned diner song could've easily been cut even though I'm sure theatre devotees will have fun spotting all the cameos), but it's first and foremost a tribute from one artist to another that wouldn't live to see his greatest success premiere to the world, and as such it succeeds. B+