Fullbuster

Brazil Box Office Thread

Do you live in Rio?

No, and never been to Rock in Rio lol

It is. But I believe the whole WOM also helped it. The Twilight WOM only happened after the DVD release. TFIOS is lucky.

I watched it, It wasn't that good. I still prefer A Walk to Remember. 

And, I agree with you on this -> "But good movies don't always make huge gross, popular movies do".

Definitely, the book is popular but not on a Twilight/Harry Potter level, I'm sure many people got interested in this movie without knowing anything about the book.

No, and never been to Rock in Rio lol

Definitely, the book is popular but not on a Twilight/Harry Potter level, I'm sure many people got interested in this movie without knowing anything about the book.

So Johnny, what are your most anticipated movies? :)

New list :

This list is about Brazil vs Mexico.

Mexico and Brazil are the most populated countries in Latin America and the most influent, Brazil has 201 million inhabitants while Mexico has 118 million of them, and their economy are in competition (Mexico has the upper hand currently), one of them is the most populated Portuguese-speaking country while the other is the most populated Spanish-speaking country.

This rivalry can be seen in terms of box office numbers as well, where they have a similar size (Mexico has a BO market size which is worth $0.93B while Brazil's BO market is worth $0.83B).

Mexico has more admissions than Brazil but ticket prices are undoubtedly cheaper that's why they have a similar size.So what about movies? It's pretty tight actually, that reflects the fact they have a similar size.

The Avengers

Brazil : 63.9m

Mexico : 61.7m

Iron Man 3

Brazil : 47.9m

Mexico : 48.6m

Captain America 2

Brazil : 28.3m

Mexico : 25.7m

Brazil : 58.2m

Mexico : 44.2m

Frozen

Brazil : 21.7m

Mexico : 25.7m

Wreck-It Ralph

Brazil : 21.4m

Mexico : 14.2m

Ice Age 4

Brazil : 44.5m

Mexico : 46.8m

Despicable Me 2

Brazil : 35.5m

Mexico : 47.7m

X-Men DOFP

Brazil : 29.2m

Mexico : 24.6m

Twilight BD2

Brazil : 54.2m

Mexico : 29.6m

Maleficent

Brazil : 33m

Mexico : 46m

Monsters University

Brazil : 16.5m

Mexico : 37.6m

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 2

Twiight, TFIOS, 50 Shades... more or less the same audience, so it has a lot of potential here.

I think 50 Shades has a bigger potential audience because a lot of women in their 40s or 50s love these books, so it can bring the Twilight public and some more. I see this movie as a contender for the top 10 all-time in Brazil (it would need 36m for that)

Posted Image

From what I read Brazilians seem pretty excited about The Expendables 3, we should be surprised by this one.

The Expendables in Brazil = 4.7m and The Expendables 2 = 16.4m, that's a big jump :o

The Expendables 3 should be around 20-25m :)

Twiight, TFIOS, 50 Shades... more or less the same audience, so it has a lot of potential here.

This is terrible... Catching fire did only 17M here and 50shades can do 30M...  :sick:

I knew it would be huge there, I wouldn't be surprised if Brazil becomes its biggest OS market.

:(

I think 50 Shades has a bigger potential audience because a lot of women in their 40s or 50s love these books, so it can bring the Twilight public and some more. I see this movie as a contender for the top 10 all-time in Brazil (it would need 36m for that)

Yeah, but I don't know if mature women here care about this book, it really does seem to appeal more to the Twilight fanbase, which is much youger here (15 ~ 35 years old). Another similarity to Twilight is that among younger people the book series have a great amount of haters, it's not praised like TFIOS, but I don't think this will affect box office, it didn't hurt Twilight.

I really don't know what to expect, but it definitely has potential.

Edited by JohnnY
  • Like 1

This is terrible... Catching fire did only 17M here and 50shades can do 30M...  :sick:

I think THG is not a huge sucess in here, simply because is not romance. Girls want romance (TFIOS and Twilight benefit). And hot guys (The Twilight PLUS).

The Hunger Games has nothing of it. FSOG on the other hand has bofh of it. But we don't know, is not exactly for teens.  And the book is more criticized than Twilight, even though is the most sold. I'm very curious to know how is going the be the run of FSOG.

• Like 2

Yeah, but I don't know if mature women here care about this book, it really does seem to appeal more to the Twilight fanbase, which is much youger here (15 ~ 35 years old). Another similarity to Twilight is that among younger people the book series have a great amount of haters, it's not praised like TFIOS, but I don't think this will affect box office, it didn't hurt Twilight.

I really don't know what to expect, but it definitely has potential.

If mature women are caring in the US and Europe it's probably the case in Brazil too, in some way.

However mature women rarely show their excitement like young women do, it's a more diskreet audience, and for some of these women it's something embarrassing to admit.

I think THG is not a huge sucess in here, simply because is not romance. Girls want romance (TFIOS and Twilight benefit). And hot guys (The Twilight PLUS).The Hunger Games has nothing of it. FSOG on the other hand has bofh of it. But we don't know, is not exactly for teens. And the book is more criticized than Twilight, even though is the most sold. I'm very curious to know how is going the be the run of FSOG.

The Hunger Games 3 should do much better,around 25m,and TH4 could pass 30m.