Eric Prime

A Man Called Otto (2022)

A Man Called Otto (2022)  

2 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

I never read the book or saw the previous movie version so I must say I was caught by surprise by the darker elements. I really liked those added levels of depth though, it manages to be very heartwarming without coming across as saccharine or manipulative. Tom Hanks is unsurprisingly terrific, adding dimensions to no simple "grumpy old man" in an excellent turn that ends up the main reason as to why the movie succeeds, and he's almost matched by a terrific performance from Mariana Trevino too. Like Ticket to Paradise, this is an agreeable way to spend an afternoon at the movie theater with your parents/grandparents. B

Simultaneously pricklier than its ad campaign suggests and perhaps not as dark as it should be with its subject matter, A Man Called Otto is a satisfying comedy that mostly earns the laughs and sniffles it might elicit from viewers. Though the film seems strangely reluctant to fully embrace the macabre nature of its conceit – a suicidal curmudgeon is frequently pulled away from his attempts at death by neighbors who need his help – it sells its more sentimental underpinnings so well that its two-hour running time breezes by in entertaining fashion. The plot meanders and feels a bit episodic, but the character work is consistently good enough to keep it afloat. In the title role, Tom Hanks does funny and affecting work. He takes well to Otto’s grumpy qualities and lends enough humanity to the part to make the film’s gradual revelations about his character land well. A Man Called Otto is certainly much less a year’s end awards contender than an affable crowd pleaser, and luckily, its reception thus far has reflected this idea. While it’s perhaps not as dark or quirky as it could be, it’s a successful crowd pleaser worthy of the word-of-mouth it appears to be building. 

B

Also: Loved the subplot where Otto helps a trans teenager. I definitely did not see "Otto said trans rights!" as a half-jokey thought I would have while watching this movie.

Edited by Webslinger