kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [June 07-09, 2024] | actuals | 56.5M BAD BOYS: RIDE OR DIE | 10.0M GARFIELD | 7.8M IF | 7.0M THE WATCHERS

1 minute ago, dallas said:

Probably Barbenheimer lol. A lot of people did double features with friends or family and realized how expensive it was when they were out a shit ton of money for two films. People did realize this, mind you, but I imagine many were too busy coping to see what was actually happening. 

but they only realized this when a couple of films came out like The Marvels, The Fall Guy, and Furiosa but forgot it when movies like Dune 2, Godzilla X Kong, Five Nights at Freddy’s, Songbirds and Snakes and more?

28 minutes ago, John Marston said:

it’s pretty crazy.

movies like GOtG 3, Across the Spider-Verse, Oppenheimer, Barbie, Mario m, Dune 2 etc all do really well and you even have several smaller hits like Five Nights at Freddy’s, Anyone But You, Songbirds and Snakes, Bob Marley etc  but when movies like The Marvels, The Fall Guy, Furiosa bomb suddenly it’s because “it is too expensive!”, “theaters are too dirty!”, “audiences are annoying!”. Even saw some people blaming “COVID fears”

I see this as major cope because the majority of those movies came before this sudden decline of moviegoing. These past 9 or so months have seen so many flops and underperformances, you can't just disregard that. We're nearly halfway through the year and we only have 3 or 4 true hits. The rest have been sub-200M performers that either flopped or were saved only by their low budgets. 

• Like 2

Why in the world are people suddenly acting like folks only started melting down with the Fall Guy lmao most of the boards have been melting down since The Creator came out. This has been months of shit performances now.

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

but they only realized this when a couple of films came out like The Marvels, The Fall Guy, and Furiosa but forgot it when movies like Dune 2, Godzilla X Kong, Five Nights at Freddy’s, Songbirds and Snakes and more?

Jesus man, you're coming at me like I'm saying there have been zero successful films. Of fucking course there are gonna be hits. Moviegoing has become a monthly thing for a lot of families and individuals. That's why there are one or two films that do pretty well every month. 

• Like 1

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

Why in the world are people suddenly acting like folks only started melting down with the Fall Guy lmao most of the boards have been melting down since The Creator came out. This has been months of shit performances now.

It's just straight up denial. I know my family in particular has been complaining about price every time we've gone to the movies the past year or so.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, dallas said:

It's just straight up denial. I know my family in particular has been complaining about price every time we've gone to the movies the past year or so.

People on these boards that attack the supposed "doomposters" just love to willfully misconstrue any negative argument about the marketplace to make us look like emotional idiots. I swear if you said that "live theater is not near what it was in the 1920s" people on these boards would say "but look how much Lion King made on Broadway!!!" Yeah it's great that people go 15 times a year for spectacles like Deadpool and a fucking concert movie, big whoop. I always said movie theaters would survive in a fashion for big event films, but that's not the industry most of us want to live in.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, dallas said:

Jesus man, you're coming at me like I'm saying there have been zero successful films. Of fucking course there are gonna be hits. Moviegoing has become a monthly thing for a lot of families and individuals. That's why there are one or two films that do pretty well every month. 

most of the movies that bombed though are movies that didn’t look all that interesting to audiences in the first place. Are people supposed to go to movies that don’t interest them?

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

most of the movies that bombed though are movies that didn’t look all that interesting to audiences in the first place. Are people supposed to go to movies that don’t interest them?

Because in the minds of moviegoers, going to the theater is too expensive anymore to risk seeing a movie that doesn't look genuinely spectacular. That's why the only successes these past months have been movies with built in loyal fanbases, or ones that were masterpieces with insane WOM like Dune 2.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Some of us have been doing it since No Time to Die to be fair. 🧐 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dallas said:

Probably Barbenheimer lol. A lot of people did double features with friends or family and realized how expensive it was when they were out a shit ton of money for two films. People did realize this, mind you, but I imagine many were too busy coping to see what was actually happening. 

I can buy student loan repayments restarting (for the US) but Barbenheimer? People saw Barbenheimer and decided they can’t afford to watch films in theaters ever again? And no one caught on to the fact that no one can afford to spend money until just now? When the May blockbusters hyped up by the industry are bombing? Around the same time that stuff like Apes and Bad Boys 4 can open well? And just months after stuff like Dune and GxK can open even bigger?

I feel like I and some other people are just beating the same drum over and over again, but streaming and Covid are just the more reasonable and obvious reasons. The bar is so much higher when you have the convenience of staying home and watching stuff on the services you already pay for. People can wait for original films to come to streaming, while franchise films have a higher interest bar to get people out. It’s why we haven’t had an original film make more than 500M worldwide since before the pandemic, or why Apes and Bad Boys can open to 50M+ while The Fall Guy and Furiosa struggle to cross 30M

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I mean, have you seen how the industry has reacted this past month? There’s a new article posted from one of the trades or The New York Times or something else about how the box office is dead published every other day. It started with The Fall Guy and Furiosa caused it to accelerate. Maybe some people realized that it’s been happening for a while, but a ton of people didn’t. I still see people who come up with one excuse after another.

7 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

I feel like I and some other people are just beating the same drum over and over again, but streaming and Covid are just the more reasonable and obvious reasons. 

So... reasons that are directly related to the price of moviegoing? People choose streaming over theaters because it's cheaper, and Covid had an effect because it led to crazy inflation? 

8 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

I mean, have you seen how the industry has reacted this past month? There’s a new article posted from one of the trades or The New York Times or something else about how the box office is dead published every other day. It started with The Fall Guy and Furiosa caused it to accelerate. Maybe some people realized that it’s been happening for a while, but a ton of people didn’t. I still see people who come up with one excuse after another.

My guy, we've been getting articles for months. We got articles in April when every movie struggled, we got articles in January and February after multiple underperformances, we got articles in December after Wonka was the only clear success. We got articles in November when The Marvels and Wish bombed. I can go on and on. The only reason we're playing revisionist is because March was an overall great month for the box office.

I will say there is validity in movies being “too expensive”, but not because of monetary reasons. Rather, streaming made movie tickets way less valuable. Pre-COVID, you had about three services, unless you wanna be that guy and include CBS All Access. Now, we have a whopping 8 major SVOD services

with large subscriber pools and there a lot of money spent to make sure these services expand their library size. In original stuff and old legacy stuff. When you have the option of 8 huge libraries in your house that costs the same, sometimes less than a movie ticket…yeah, that does feel worthless all of a sudden, barring the occasional nostalgic toy commercial.

It’s not even really the fault of exhibitors. I don’t know how you can compete with something that offers 1,000+ movies and TV shows for $15. And even if Paramount or Peacock bite the dust, there’s still 6 services with huge libraries and lineups to get for cheap. And that isn’t even getting into Tubi or Roku Channel or Pluto, which offer the same value for free.

4 minutes ago, dallas said:

So... reasons that are directly related to the price of moviegoing? People choose streaming over theaters because it's cheaper, and Covid had an effect because it led to crazy inflation? 

But you said it started in August 2023, which obviously isn’t true. Just because Wonka was the only 600M+ between Barbenheimer and Dune 2 doesn’t mean people just suddenly felt that moviegoing became too expensive in late 2023. These changes have been happening for years. People just didn’t notice until the movies they like or thought would do better didn’t do as well they wanted.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

But you said it started in August 2023, which obviously isn’t true. Just because Wonka was the only 600M+ between Barbenheimer and Dune 2 doesn’t mean people just suddenly felt that moviegoing became too expensive in late 2023. These changes have been happening for years. People just didn’t notice until the movies they like or thought would do better didn’t do as well they wanted.

I mean, in reality it's been happening since 2021 on a smaller scale. August 2023 onwards is just when it became absurd.

Edited by dallas

6 minutes ago, dallas said:

My guy, we've been getting articles for months. We got articles in April when every movie struggled, we got articles in January and February after multiple underperformances, we got articles in December after Wonka was the only clear success. We got articles in November when The Marvels and Wish bombed. I can go on and on. The only reason we're playing revisionist is because March was an overall great month for the box office.

Those were more about those specific movies, not moviegoing as a whole. “This did poorly because it got bad reception, this movie did poorly because it was niche, etc”

We didn’t have “this movie did poorly it’s just SO expensive to go the movies (but ignore these other ones that did well) and that’s why the industry is dying” until now.

1 minute ago, Speedorito said:

Those were more about those specific movies, not moviegoing as a whole. “This did poorly because it got bad reception, this movie did poorly because it was niche, etc”

We didn’t have “this movie did poorly it’s just SO expensive to go the movies (but ignore these other ones that did well) and that’s why the industry is dying” until now.

Well hindsight is 20/20