Eric Quinn

The Wild Robot (2024) Spoiler Thread

The Wild Robot (2024)  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

I did think the finale sequence where Roz’s “creators” come for her and attack the island was a little undercooked, and honestly felt like a dollar-store version of the finale of Tarzan (which I thought did that plot beat a lot better). That being said, this singular criticism hardly negated my enjoyment of this movie. It’s charming, lovely, is mature without being preachy, and the animation is lovely.

I thought it would make me cry and it didn’t, but I was definitely feeling all the emotions during the scenes that @The Wild Eric already mentioned. I’m not sure whether I would put it ahead of Inside Out 2 yet, but I have to let both films sit with me for a while.

All that being said, if anyone hasn’t, go read the book Love You Forever. 

• Like 1

On a second viewing, yes, I did fully enjoy this. With expectations adjusted for a movie in the mainstream incident-driven mold (and also choosing a theater with better presentation), it's easier to appreciate the craft and storytelling that is on display. Some of the score cues like Give Me a Boost are definitely going to go down as classic Dreamworks moments. Personally I'd say Kiss the Sky is the stronger of the Maren Morris cues.

Btw I can't be the only who expected the falcon to say ARBY'S: WE HAVE THE MEATS at some point

Edited by AniNate

On 9/28/2024 at 6:32 PM, AniNate said:

I think it was "More shoreline than ever" or something like that

It was in fact more shoreline than ever. I made sure to keep an eye out for it this time and it gave me an extra giggle. 

Loved every part of it. My one nitpick is that the final act included a bunch of robot battles.

I understand that's probably how the book went, but I kinda hate how every modern film no matter how quiet and emotional has to inevitably have its marvel action ending.

But it didn't ruin the movie or anything, so I'd still give it an A. Without a doubt the best original animation in years. At least that's come out of Disney, Pixar, DreamWorks or illumination. Encanto might still be better though.

I liked this movie, I’d call it a damn good time at the theater. While, I didn’t find it as emotionally impactful as the book it’s based on, there’s still so much to enjoy about it.

My only gripes with the movie are that I felt Brightbills relationship with Roz could’ve been given a little more time to be fleshed out. I felt a little more invested by Finks relationship with Roz. 

Funnily enough, Fink doesn’t have that much of a role in the book and seems more like an afterthought, but Brightbill and Roz are given more time for their relationship to be fleshed out, and by the end it was worth being invested with them.

The climax of the movie was also something that could’ve been handled better, as it all felt rushed and the villain didn’t really leave that much of an impact. Vontra was actually not in the book at all, but instead three of those Reco bots that were sent out in the movie are the ones that cause chaos during the book climax. In the book, there’s a much more defined reason for Roz to leave the island outside of the corporation just coming back to retrieve her. 

The pacing was also another issue, but I can respect it given how much of a story they needed to tell with the time they had.

Still enjoyed it.

9/10

Edited by WebSurfer