lab276

The Universal Thread | Dreamworks Animation seeing layoffs, set to outsource their work

It's not just Universal's decision. They have to get Matt Damon on board. He's willing to come back but he won't commit until he sees a script and feels it works for the character. He's made that clear and Marshall even confirmed it.

Ahh I thought it was more about Damon v Gilroy. It just seems they don't get along, and if Universal cares more about the health of the franchise, I'd think they'd jettison Gilroy first, even though he was more willing to work under their schedule. The results in the BO just shows. Gilroy is just not that good for the franchise.

Ahh I thought it was more about Damon v Gilroy. It just seems they don't get along, and if Universal cares more about the health of the franchise, I'd think they'd jettison Gilroy first, even though he was more willing to work under their schedule. The results in the BO just shows. Gilroy is just not that good for the franchise.

They brought Gilroy in after Damon and Greengrass wouldn't commit to the 2 scripts. One was written by George Nolfi and one was written by Josh Zetumyer(?). The story gets murkier from there. Gilroy says in one interview that Universal brought him in to write a script without Matt Damon/Bourne. In another interview he says it was all his idea, lol. Damon thought Gilroy was brought in to write the Jason Bourne movie. He had no idea that he and Greengrass would not be part of it. He found out when everybody else did the Universal was taking the movie in another direction and that Gilroy would be the director. Gilroy wasn't signed on to direct at first. That came later.The bad business between Gilroy and Damon probably resulted from Damon publicly blasting Gilroy's Ultimatum script. He said that it was unusable and they had to rewrite everything on the fly. He did later apologize. But that's why he didn't want to commit to a movie without seeing a completed script first. He said that once they committed Universal would give a release date and they would be under too much pressure to complete the movie if a script wasn't in place. He said that's what happened with Ultimatum and it was just too hard.Now Gilroy doesn't like Greengrass and he's made some pretty snide comments about him. But he's never publicly said anything bad about Damon. Edited by ECSTASY

They brought Gilroy in after Damon and Greengrass wouldn't commit to the 2 scripts. One was written by George Nolfi and one was written by Josh Zetumyer(?). The story gets murkier from there. Gilroy says in one interview that Universal brought him in to write a script without Matt Damon/Bourne. In another interview he says it was all his idea, lol. Damon thought Gilroy was brought in to write the Jason Bourne movie. He had no idea that he and Greengrass would not be part of it. He found out when everybody else did the Universal was taking the movie in another direction and that Gilroy would be the director. Gilroy wasn't signed on to direct at first. That came later.The bad business between Gilroy and Damon probably resulted from Damon publicly blasting Gilroy's Ultimatum script. He said that it was unusable and they had to rewrite everything on the fly. He did later apologize. But that's why he didn't want to commit to a movie without seeing a completed script first. He said that once they committed Universal would give a release date and they would be under too much pressure to complete the movie if a script wasn't in place. He said that's what happened with Ultimatum and it was just too hard.Now Gilroy doesn't like Greengrass and he's made some pretty snide comments about him. But he's never publicly said anything bad about Damon.

LOL. Thanks for the quick backstory of The Bourne Franchise. So Damon didn't like the Ultimatum script, but did he like Supremacy and Identity? Or was the whole thing about doing everything on the fly only for Ultimatum. And he didn't like the scripts after Ultimatum. Any particular reason?

LOL. Thanks for the quick backstory of The Bourne Franchise. So Damon didn't like the Ultimatum script, but did he like Supremacy and Identity? Or was the whole thing about doing everything on the fly only for Ultimatum. And he didn't like the scripts after Ultimatum. Any particular reason?

From what I understand Gilroy only wrote a basic outline for Ultimatum. It was a half assed script so to speak. He wrote something and picked up his check, lol. He and Greengrass never spoke. They changed the end of Supremacy. The alternate ending on the blu ray is the one Gilroy wrote for Supremacy. He was mad and never forgave Greengrass, lol. So when it came to writing Ultimatum, he just threw something together and got out of dodge.

That's a pretty ridiculous feud. I don't think it's appropriate for them to be taking pot-shots at each other when hundreds of millions of dollars are at stake.

That's nothing compared to Doug Liman's shenanigans on Bourne Identity.

That's nothing compared to Doug Liman's shenanigans on Bourne Identity.

Haha Liman's craziness probably cost a few $$$ but feuds about such as Gilroy probably cost a lot more in terms of wasted time and intangibles such as goodwill, Damon not wanting to commit is a perfect example.

Despite some risky projects, I still think Universal is gonna have another strong year next year

Liking the lineup for 2013. FF6, KA2, DM2, Oblivion, Ronin.

TOP MOVIES

[*]217.6 TED

[*]214.0 THE LORAX

[*]155.1 SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN

[*]126.2 SAFE HOUSE

[*]108.8 THE BOURNE LEGACY

I wonder how much of the 46M difference between SWATH and BL is due to better marketing campaign?

IMO BL was better but the marketing for SWATH was incredible. It was so good that I even bought the blu ray despite my better judgement. I just really like the cover :lol:

I wonder how much of the 46M difference between SWATH and BL is due to better marketing campaign? IMO BL was better but the marketing for SWATH was incredible. It was so good that I even bought the blu ray despite my better judgement. I just really like the cover :lol:

Swath had a fantastic marketing campaign but Bourne did too. Hard to say if the marketing is the difference maker. What about TED or Lorax? Was the marketing any better than SWATH or Bourne?

Swath had a fantastic marketing campaign but Bourne did too. Hard to say if the marketing is the difference maker. What about TED or Lorax? Was the marketing any better than SWATH or Bourne?

Posted Image

Nuff said.

• Like 1

The fact that someone thought that was a good idea is enough to make Bourne campaign crash and burn :P

meh. It was a bad idea true enough but it wasn't the only aspect of the marketing. They did a great job with the tv spots more so than SWATH imo.

Didn't follow Ted as much but when it came out it basically looked like a breakout to me. Everyone was talking about it. Ted was a surprise and it didn't seem to be marketed as heavily. And if it was I didn't notice it. And there always seems to be a surprise breakout comedy.And Ted was a better movie than BL or SWATH IMO. And yeah I think the marketing for SWATH was much better.