baumer

Chasing Amy

5 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

To me a film can have no action and no real special effects and still be great. If that film can take it's characters and make them interesting by making them speak the way we know people do, then you are left with a fantastic film. So is the case with Kevin Smith's wonderful film Chasing Amy.For anyone who thought that Ben Affleck couldn't act, watch this movie and enjoy how he plays Holden. He is honest in his approach to a character that is as complex as any great movie character. Also cast perfectly is Joey Lauren Adams as his girlfriend and Jason Lee is so good as Banky, his best friend and business partner that I really could have seen him with an Oscar nod that year.Kevin Smith's strength is that he knows how people talk and he is honest in his assessment of his characters. And that is what makes this film the gem that it is. And did I mention that it is a wonderful romance and it is wickedly funny?If all you've ever seen of Kevin Smith is Clerks, then check out this awesome flick. It certainly makes you appreciate how good Smith is at writing characters. A really great film.This should have been nominated for best original screenplay at the very least. It is one of the truly great scripts of the last 20 years imo.Note**** If anyone is a true fan of Jaws ( and I, like Smith think it is the greatest movie ever made ) then watch for the scene in Jaws where Hooper and Quint compare wounds to be parodied hilariously in this film. 10/10

Chasing Amy is woefully immature. Presenting itself as a progressive LGBT film, it constantly showcases a woeful misunderstanding of sexuality, while featuring two of the most moronic self-absorbed assholes in cinema. Adams is excellent in her role and whenever the movie chooses to focus on her viewpoint, it’s actually very enjoyable. However, she’s the only great part of the movie, and thus, the movie overall just feels intolerable. Chasing Amy is an unfunny comedy and an offensively terrible piece of queer cinema, if you can call it that. D