John Marston

What was Alec Guinness 's problem when it came to Star Wars?

He didn't hate the films or even the character he played. He just hated that it was the one thing everyone recognized him for. He had a very long and prestigious career before those glorified cameos. Can you imagine DDL doing a Star Wars film playing Dash Rendar or something(I know he's too old, just an example) and even though he's an Oscar Winning actor(Guiness won Best Actor for Bridge on the River Kwai in 1957), all he ever hears from people is "Look it's Dash Rendar!", or in Guinness' case, "Look, it's Obi-Wan Kenobi!". I'd get tired of that as well.

Edited by Accursed Arachnid!™
  • Like 2

He felt it overshadowed his other great work which is somewhat understandable. I only recently saw his performances in David Lean's films and have realized how truly great of an actor he is. His performances in The Bridge on the River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia, and even Doctor Zhivago are really great.

• Like 2

One of the best things about him being cast in SW is I and I'm sure many others discovered he had this great career prior to SW. I can rank River Kwai and Lawrence of Arabia amongst my favorites.

• Like 1

He didn't hate the films or even the character he played. He just hated that it was the one thing everyone recognized him for. He had a very long and prestigious career before those glorified cameos. Can you imagine DDL doing a Star Wars film playing Dash Rendar or something(I know he's too old, just an example) and even though he's an Oscar Winning actor(Guiness won Best Actor for Bridge on the River Kwai in 1957), all he ever hears from people is "Look it's Dash Rendar!", or in Guinness' case, "Look, it's Obi-Wan Kenobi!". I'd get tired of that as well.

That's the perfect analogy.