2 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Hesher is a strange film. It's obviously not going to be for everyone but if you give it a chance, it starts to grow on you. Joseph Gordon Levitt plays the title character, a homeless vagrant with a bad past and a violent and abusive present. Devin Brochu plays TJ, a young boy who has lost his mother from a car accident and he is watching his dad wallow in self pity, for what seems to be months now. Hesher comes into the picture by basically forcing himself into TJ's home. He eats there, lives in the garage and washes his clothes. TJ is being harassed by a bully at school and at first you'd think Hesher would be there to help him, but he witnesses TJ getting his head shoved into a urinal, and does nothing about it. Hesher is a jerk.The film tries to say something about depression and the trials and tribulations in life and while it is good in some parts, it just seems to go nowhere in others.Not a bad film, but not a great one.6.5/10

I caught this on TV the other night and while it kept my interest, I wasn't too impressed and found myself rolling eyes a lot. I thought it was very overacted from JGL to Rainn Wilson to the kid. The dinner confrontation between the son and father was cringe-worthy. Only reserved performance in the film was from Natalie Portman and the grandmother. I get that they were going for something a bit outside the box but it just seemed to be trying way too hard to be hip, and JGL can become really smug at times and you can tell through and through that he's actoring and attempting to create some iconic indie-darling performance. The problem is, the "effortless cool" he tried to convey seemed anything but- it was completely forced.All that aside, like I said in the beginning, it was at least intriguing enough and I didn't change the channel, so it gets some points for that.I give it a C.