The Stingray

Biggest Oscar snubs this year.

Biggest Oscar snubs.  

75 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think were the biggest Oscar snubs this year?

• Moonrise Kingdom not getting Best Picture
    • Skyfall not getting Best Picture
    • Ben Affleck not getting Best Director
    • Kathryn Bigelow not getting Best Director
    • Tom Hooper not getting Best Director
    • Quentin Tarantino not getting Best Director
    • John Hawkes not getting Best Actor
    • Marion Cotillard not getting Best Actress
    • Javier Bardem not getting Best Supporting Actor
    • Leonardo DiCaprio not getting Best Supporting Actor
    • Looper not getting Best Original Screenplay
    • The Perks of Being a Wallflower not getting Best Adapted Screenplay
    • The Intouchables not getting Best Foreign Language Film
    • Beasts of the Southern Wild not getting Best Original Score
    • Cloud Atlas not getting anything
    • The Dark Knight Rises not getting anything
    • Other

Then what about Revenge of the Fallen? F**king Norbit got a nomination man!

There are exceptions. And I'm not saying that not being loved kills your chances for a nomination. I'm saying that hate can really hurt your chances, but it's not impossible. And also, Norbit is Norbit, but I getthe feeling that Transformers wasn't necessarily hated and more dismissed by the Academy as "Kid's Fare". Atlas on the other hand was actually hated, and I mean hate hate.

There are exceptions. And I'm not saying that not being loved kills your chances for a nomination. I'm saying that hate can really hurt your chances, but it's not impossible.

And also, Norbit is Norbit, but I getthe feeling that Transformers wasn't necessarily hated and more dismissed by the Academy as "Kid's Fare". Atlas on the other hand was actually hated, and I mean hate hate.

How do you know this?

Norbit deserved its nomination. It might be a godawful movie but the makeup effects were spectacular. Credit where credit is due

That's what I'm saying. No matter how bad a movie stinks, if it deserves recognition in some category it should get it.

Norbit deserved its nomination. It might be a godawful movie but the makeup effects were spectacular. Credit where credit is due

I think that's exactly the point Stingray is making. It appears hatred of the final product has got in the way of the assessment of Cloud Atlas' technical achievements if riczhang's comments are to be true. If Norbit can be given credit where it's due (and warranted in my opinion), why can't Cloud Atlas overcome the industry's apparent hatred of the film?

• Like 1

The other thing about noms is that people can only vote for their branch's category(s) and BP. Therefore sometimes they can treat it a little bit like hmmm...... I really loved that movie, can I get away with voting for it in Category X? They want to reward movies they loved and that can spill into categories that they don't really deserve to be considered for. I think SLP for Editing is a good example. They really love the movie, and it's a good movie, but editing is kinda a stretch.

The other thing about noms is that people can only vote for their branch's category(s) and BP. Therefore sometimes they can treat it a little bit like hmmm...... I really loved that movie, can I get away with voting for it in Category X? They want to reward movies they loved and that can spill into categories that they don't really deserve to be considered for. I think SLP for Editing is a good example. They really love the movie, and it's a good movie, but editing is kinda a stretch.

The same happened with The Artist. I mean the editing was fine, but a nomination? Why?

And BP winners almost always gets editing nods. And BP nominees always wins VFX. It's just industry love speaking. They vote for love, and whatever has the most "editing", "costumes", ad etc. because they know little about the categories.