Naked (1993)  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

crawling into the unforgivably bleak and grimy world of misfits, following someone who has suffered a complete existential crisis. that performance by thewlis is one of the most brilliant ever. i had a bit of a double take when he howled like a wolf, lol. with its wandering and its philosophical tones, this is the sort of movie jim jarmusch would make if he was assaulted by a gang of rabid monkeys.

I'm a big fan of Mike Leigh, and this is without a doubt his greatest film. It's a fucking grim movie that starts with a rape and just goes further down the toilet of life from there. David Thewlis can't be praised enough, his performance as the highly intelligent but despicable Johnny is one of the most powerful pieces of acting I've seen in a film.

5/5

The sadistic playboy landlord character seems too much like a writer's construct instead of a believable human being, and I'm honestly not sure why he's needed here, but even with that considered (and I'm still gonna chew on that), it's an extremely powerful movie. Thewlis' performance is one of the greatest I've ever seen, it's really a fucking crime every time he's wasted in some thankless supporting role these days. 

the playboy dude was definitely the least good part, seemed to exist only to play johnny's alter-ego, the second side of a coin.

the best parts are extraordinary, though. thewlis gives probably my favourite performance ever, and the conspiracy scene absolutely floored me.

Edited by lisa
  • Like 1