baumer

The Bay (2012)

5 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Ok, I'm officially freaked out.  I'm shocked at how effective this film is.  Directed by Oscar winning director Barry Levinson, The Bay is about a small Maryland town that are dying horribly because of the water in the area.  The CDC has no idea what's going on and of course the governing bodies that should be telling the people about possible contamination have stayed quiet on everything.  People die and they die painfully.  They are puking up their insides, their skin boils, fish are being eaten from the inside by parasites.  This is a film that is scary as hell because it's possible and realistic.  Kids, women, men, animals, no one is safe.  

Levinson directs perhaps his best film in his acclaimed and awarded career.  Rainman is over rated imo so take that for what it's worth but this one is brilliant.  I'm still freaked out.  See this film, see it. It's one of the most effective films I've ever seen.

9.5/10

Edited by baumer
  • Like 1

A really neat film I saw on Netflix a while back, God every time you see someone infected you feel awful. Felt really bad for the doctor especially who decided to stay. In fact I need to watch this again, the film is put well together and I want to go through the ride again.

5/5

• Like 1

This was movie number two last night of Creature Feature night with my dad (first was The Fog): So whereas The Fog I went in knowing Carpenter's style and generally being acclaimed as being notorious for scare fests, this one I went in fairly blind to be honest. The only bit I've seen are a few images of the creature on google but not very good images, and then just read the synopsis on the back of the movie. I was compelled to buy it as it looked and sounded creepy as hell when I looked at the trailer on youtube and in general, I really hate bugs (especially spiders). So what were my thoughts on the movie?

I have to say, when I saw (which from the trailer I knew of) the movie I was iffy on the camera/directing style they decided to take with this. It's obviously been done before by others, and it's definitely I'd say a risky move as it can be very tricky to get people to buy that it feels real, and even harder to get immerse in it as in general most movies you have a lead character followed by other major characters and then thus a story envelopes (whereas this, when you go the route of having the audience using camera feeds to tell your story instead of more of a character driven focus......if this makes any sense). If you don't buy the realism in what this film (and others prior) are trying to put forth and sell you, then boy you're in for a long movie that won't be fun for you. However if the film does pull you and does pay off by making a risky move, then boy does it reap the rewards, and this one fortunately does.

I'd say for the first maybe like 10-15 I'll admit I was having trouble following along, more so because scenes went to quickly and just seemed to 'happen'. I also wasn't sure really who donna was talking to when she was telling her story. However after about 15 minutes, once you get a pattern of people that they've been showing, you really do get immersed and really feel like you're watching real life shit happening before your eyes. There was no big scary music, no big typical scary jump scares, it just felt raw and real. I can't really say what they did right here whereas in others it just didn't work, but whatever they did worked for me and I was really just sitting upright tense throughout the movie. You really know a movie did it's job (especially scary) when after the movie, I really didn't almost consider never drinking from water bubblers or my kitchen sink ever again :lol:  Some of the deaths were pretty brutal, and the end I thought was very well fitting and a perfect way to end it. 

I was very pleased with this choice, overall I'd give it a 8.5/10, B+ overall rating. A very solid film that I think would terrorize most people into thinking, 'how safe really is our water'?....

As I promised, taggin ya @Baumer

• Like 1