What's Eating Gilbert Grape (1993)  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

At first I thought this movie was some average movie that had a solid performance from DiCaprio. While the beginning of it suggested that, throughout the movie, it gets more and more emotional. One of the saddest scenes I've ever seen was when their mother came out of that police station and everyone was kind of staring at her (a few people even laughing). Reminds me in what a shitty society we live.

The ending was also quite emotional, especially with the house burning down. It didn't hit me until the 'epilogue', near Arnier's nineteenth birthday. The scene starts off as it does, with the voice over from Gilbert, but then the theme starts playing and you're just going to have to let it out.

That's one thing that always gets me. In this movie, everyone lived together until their mother died. At the end you find out that they split ways and that Gilbert was going 'on the run' with Arnie, deciding to travel around the country with Becky. These kind of situations always get me.

In the end, this movie was pretty great. Of course I won't forget DiCaprio's amazing performance and Depp's gorgeous hair.

A