Blankments

BoxOffice.com's Top 15 Christmas Movies of All-Time: RESULTS and PRESENTATION!

Fifteen lists have been tallied, and I'll be beginning right about now. Eventually the list of fifteen will be posted below, but first, the presentation! :D Let's kick off with some nice background music while I set up the first entry!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ-e3_31sdM

TOP 15:

15. Home Alone 2: Lost in New York

14. Bad Santa

13. Gremlins

12. Miracle on 34th Street (1947)

11. Scrooged

10. How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (1966)

9. Love, Actually

8. The Nightmare Before Christmas

7. Elf

6. The Muppet Christmas Carol

5. Christmas Vacation

4. A Christmas Story

3. Die Hard

2. Home Alone

1. It's A Wonderful Life

Edited by Blankments
  • Like 1

Home Alone 2: Lost in New York

Chris Columbus, 1992

Posted Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uHVlW-sFTo

Adjusted Box Office Gross: 336.9M

48 points

“It's Christmas Eve. Good deeds count extra tonight. Think of an important thing you can do for others, and go do it. Just follow the star in your heart.”

Synopsis: One year after Kevin was left home alone and had to defeat a pair of bumbling burglars, he accidentally finds himself in New York City, and the same criminals are not far behind.

Trivia: It was stated in the commentary of the original Home Alone in 2006 that several of the cameras froze during production of the film because it was so cold.

Edited by Blankments
  • Like 7

Bad Santa

Terry Zwigoff, 2003

Posted Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17VrLTWxw2A

Adjusted Box Office Gross: 79.7M

52 points

“It's Christmas and the kid's gettin' his fuckin' present.”

Synopsis: A miserable conman and his partner pose as Santa and his Little Helper to rob department stores on Christmas Eve. But they run into problems when the conman befriends a troubled kid, and the security boss discovers the plot.

Trivia: The most recent movie to make this list.

Edited by Blankments
  • Like 6

AND THAT BAD SANTA IS THE MOST RECENT FILM ON THE LIST. NO FOUR CHRISTMASES, DECK THE HALLS, CHRISTMAS WITH THE KRANKS, ARTHUR CHRISTMAS [but thankfully no fred claus then]. BUT THAT MEANS NO POLAR EXPRESS. IM GOING TO GO MENTAL :angry:

I will start a riot if the polar express is not on this list . I POSTED THIS ON THE REMINDER THREAD AND I MIGHT START ONE. IM SO ANGRY. I HOPE ITS ON THE LIST. I HOPE THAT TRIVIA FACT IS WRONG

• Like 1

Gremlins

Joe Dante, 1984

Posted Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euhUfZGddwk

Adjusted Box Office Gross: 366.1M

56 points

“The worst thing that ever happened to me was on Christmas. Oh, God. It was so horrible. It was Christmas Eve. I was 9 years old. Me and Mom were decorating the tree, waiting for Dad to come home from work. A couple hours went by. Dad wasn't home. So Mom called the office. No answer. Christmas Day came and went, and still nothing. So the police began a search. Four or five days went by. Neither one of us could eat or sleep. Everything was falling apart. It was snowing outside. The house was freezing, so I went to try to light up the fire. That's when I noticed the smell. The firemen came and broke through the chimney top. And me and Mom were expecting them to pull out a dead cat or a bird. And instead they pulled out my father. He was dressed in a Santa Claus suit. He'd been climbing down the chimney... his arms loaded with presents. He was gonna surprise us. He slipped and broke his neck. He died instantly. And that's how I found out there was no Santa Claus.”

Synopsis: A boy inadvertently breaks 3 important rules concerning his new pet and unleashes a horde of malevolently mischievous monsters on a small town.

Trivia: Generally credited to influence the MPAA to create the PG-13 rating, as many felt the scenes of violence in both movies were too much for a PG rating, but not enough for an R rating.

Edited by Blankments
  • Like 4

Gremlins made my list at number 4.  One of the funniest and most innovative films I've ever seen.  The gremlin flashing scene had me in stitches, in fact the whole bar scene was ridiculously funny.  

For the record, Temple of Doom came out before Gremlins, and it was supposed to be the genesis of pg-13, not Gremlins.  At least that's what I read.

• Like 1

Miracle on 34th Street

George Seaton, 1947

Posted Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DjBquGUkFI

Adjusted Box Office Gross: N/A

64 points (7 lists, lost the tiebreaker)

“Faith is believing when common sense tells you not to. Don't you see? It's not just Kris that's on trial, it's everything he stands for. It's kindness and joy and love and all the other intangibles.”

Synopsis: When a nice old man who claims to be Santa Claus is institutionalized as insane, a young lawyer decides to defend him by arguing in court that he is the real thing.

Trivia: I’ll give you two interesting bits of trivia for this one.

1. Edmund Gwenn is the only actor ever to be nominated for portraying Santa Claus. He is also the only actor to win for portraying Santa Claus.

2. Although the film is set during the Christmas season, studio head Darryl F. Zanuck insisted that it be released in May, arguing that more people went to the movies during the summer. So the studio rushed to promote it while keeping its Christmas setting a secret. Fox's promotional trailer depicted a fictional producer roaming the studio backlot and encountering such stars as Rex Harrison, Anne Baxter, Peggy Ann Garner, and Dick Haymes extolling the virtues of the film.

Edited by Blankments
  • Like 5

It was the combination of Temple and Gremlins that got pg13 off the ground.At least that's what I've read.

I guess I missed the article about Gremlins.  But it would make sense.  Interesting that they are both associated with Spielberg.  Bad boy, Steven.  Bad boy.

• Like 2

That's a fascinating piece of trivia for Miracle.  Zanuck thought more people went to the movies in the summer?  That's odd because in 1947, summer blockbusters hadn't even been thought of yet and ironically it would be another 28 years before another Zanuck film came out and created the summer blockbuster as we know it today.

• Like 2

Scrooged

Richard Donner, 1988

Posted Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVvkj7jL-RM

Adjusted Box Office Gross: 118.8M

64 points (7 lists, won the tiebreaker)

“It's Christmas Eve! It's... it's the one night of the year when we all act a little nicer, we... we... we smile a little easier, we... w-w-we... we... we cheer a little more. For a couple of hours out of the whole year, we are the people that we always hoped we would be!”

Synopsis: A cynically selfish TV executive gets haunted by three spirits bearing lessons on Christmas Eve.

Trivia: The movie's "Scrooged" title is a spoof and play-on-words of the last name of the Ebenezer Scrooge character from Charles Dickens 1843 novella "A Christmas Carol" which suggested this modern adaptation parody.

Edited by Blankments
  • Like 4

That's a fascinating piece of trivia for Miracle.  Zanuck thought more people went to the movies in the summer?  That's odd because in 1947, summer blockbusters hadn't even been thought of yet and ironically it would be another 28 years before another Zanuck film came out and created the summer blockbuster as we know it today.

The original trailer that the trivia describes is actually on Youtube. I was gonna embed it but I decided instead to just use a clip. Here is that trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ce_op2qG24

Edited by Blankments
  • Like 2