baumer

Stranger By The Lake (2013)

3 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

It was hot and the shots were nice and pretty... but it was kind of boring and weird.  The motivations of the characters don't seem realistic to me.  Why would the murderer just come back to the lake the next day after killing someone?  Why does the main guy fall for the killer dude?  Why does he not just run to his car and book it after he finds the fat dude with the throat slit open and why does he freaking call out to the killer guy at the end??

I watched this cause it got a 97% in rottentomatoes but IMO that's too high.

No doubt there's enough penis on screen to account for a couple of lifetimes, but thankfully there's some damn good cinema to be had as well.

It's takes a very minimalist approach regarding the themes, and I feel like that is the proper method.  When dealing with themes such as seduction, attraction, and passion, over-cooking the themes tends to devalue the experience.  These are primal urges that are best left played broadly.  The human mind is more than willing to run with themes such as these.  Love subtle playing with themes and ideas as is the case here.

This is in many ways a subtle film outside of all the brash sexuality.  I've already mentioned the themes, but the atmosphere and overall sense of creepiness is tangible.  This is very much a mood and feel film as it must be watched to fully understand.  While hard to watch at times, its gifts far outweigh any negatives.

For those willing to give it a shot, a consistently unique and at times fascinating viewing experience.
  • Like 2