Missing (1982)

2 members have voted

1. 1. Grade It:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Well I asked for this and don't expect many replies or votes .a masterpiece and the most disturbing movie I have ever seen . A true journey in hell far away from cartoons like Serbian movie, cannibal holocaust ,salo and more "disturbing movies" . No this doesn't have one scene of gore but it's the only movie that has made me cry from the shock (and I have a very strong stomach when it comes to movies) and that's when Jack Lemmon and sissy spacek arrive at the stadium and enter the locker rooms , that are full of dead bodies .The direction is amazing, as always with Gavras movies , he takes a deep political theme and makes an adventure out of it , a good movie not just a political one . This one was his first Hollywood movie that and it made the U.S government issue an official statement/reply . The score, by vaggelis , is amazingly disturbing too.A journey in hell starting from when the conservative father(jack Lemmon) arrives in an unnamed country (chile) to find his liberal son and starts searching for him with his son's girlfriend (spacek) . From the very first scenes when the rich people are celebrating in parties while people are executed in the streets , you know you are in for a shocking movie . I have to say that Lemmon's acting is the best I have ever seen in any movie from any actor. He doesn't overact , which is a trap he could easily fall in this role , and he plays the conservative father that believes, in the beginning of the movie in "truth,justice and the American way" and sees how wrong he was about his beliefs ,with U.S officials lying to him and becomes a new man in the ending . One of the greatest, most moving scenes I have ever seen is when Lemon's character is with the U.S officials and he starts blaming all the young people that have radical ideas and why don't they stay home and work and he finishes his speech ,after all his accusations of the young people , with "......but he is my only child " almost crying.I consider it the best Gavras movie , though it's not his most famous and goes head to head with "state of emergency" for his most shocking one . Jack Lemmon was robbed from the oscar that year .A masterpiece, not much to add....

Edited by Thrylos 7