John Marston

which is better - Digital IMAX or The Epic Experience

if a movie isn't playing at a real 70mm IMAX I prefer to see it in a Digital IMAX.  However a theater near me has something called the Epic Experience which is apparently a bigger screen and Dolby Atmos sound. http://www.mjrtheatres.com/epic 

would this be better to watch a movie at than a Digital IMAX  theater? Anyone have seen the two and can compare? 

Dolby Atmos is great and better than what IMAX offers, IMO (IMAX may be louder and feel like it's got all the levels cranked up, but Atmos is way more precise and you get a great sense of directional sound). If the screen is in fact bigger than your LieMAX and other aspects of the presentation are nice (nice projector, good seats, etc) then I think the Epic Experience might be the way to go.

I dunno. I can't really distinguish Atmos from 7.1, honestly. I may have a keen sense of hearing, but there is only so much extra directionality I can process while I'm also trying to follow what's happening on screen and what the characters are saying and so forth.

And I've heard Atmos cranked up to IMAX levels before. Pacific Rim opening night in Regal RPX/Dolby Atmos was one of the most painful sonic experiences I have ever had to endure. It caused physical discomfort, not just for my ears, but also for my stomach. The ordeal caused me to swear off premium large format; save for seeing Gravity and Interstellar in IMAX, every screening I've been to post-Pacific Rim has been plain ol' 2D with regular 7.1 sound.

So I guess I have no answer for you.

Edited by TServo2049