The Divergent Series: Insurgent (2015)

27 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Divergent ended with Four and Tris on the train, heading towards the wall. An ending with such promise largely because I thought it meant they were going to the outside world. So much potential.

My problem with the beginning: Instead they go to the farm people and then head back to the city. Okay, I told myself, I can live with this if this is the story Insurgent wants to tell. But damn if I wasn't disappointed.

My problem with the middle: Over-reliance of nightmares in the beginning means that the whole sim thing which bends reality is undermined. Now Divergent and Insurgent are pretty big on reality and it's relationship with the characters but I feel like the movie would have been a lot better if they had cut out the nightmares. Plus they could have used that time in the movie to develop the world/story better: so much was compressed. So many side characters which could have been developed better...so many sub-plots that needed more time to really work.

My problem with the end: I like Triss' reaction (and her friends) as well as Jeanine's reaction. Everybody else? What the hell. I could understand some of the guards following her orders without question but damn it: some of them should have at least questioned if they were really following the right leader. And then when the whole society learns that everything they knew was a lie, that they had been all a part of a giant science experiment, they weren't alone in the world, and that the society they had all grown up believing in was no longer necessary...I could see some people being relieved but just about everyone? Like what the fuck? That's not realistic at all.

Four's mom killing Jeanine was BOSS though.

B-

Not everyone gets relieved. In fact, many people don't go out and prefer to stay inside. But that is something for the sequel to explain.

Edited by CJohn

Honestly, members told me that there was an ending that wouldn't require Allegiant, but its obviously right there its continuing to the next book even if the movie didn't do well at B.O.  Everybody happy and leaving and suddenly booom!!!

• Like 1