KingoftheWorld

The Future of Box Office

How do you see it?

Today I tried first time in my life VR headset and used demo where I was watching movie inside a movie theatre. It blowed my mind. When I think who good and widespread that technology might be in 5 years, I have to say movie theatres might be in trouble.

That makes me sad in nostalgic way, but there is no stopping technology. The good part is that with virtual cinemas there could be truly global openings nights for movies. But then again, with VOD piracy is always a bitch, but maybe some good services will get people to pay more for content instead of pirating. 

I think that there will always be movie theatres, but it might be that they are probably going to become very niche. Maybe they become sort of like Broadway. Screenings with live orchestra in luxurous settings and high ticket prices. There have been lately some screenings of epic movies like Titanic with live orchestra so maybe that's the future?

What do you think?

Edited by KingoftheWorld