department store basement

Movies better known than those that beat them for #1 at the box office

Office Space > payback and the other 6 in front of it opening weekend, and 8mm and more the next

I'd say Shakespeare in Love is remembered, though AS much as Office Space? Not sure. Or it could just be that the people who still think about one aren't the people who still think about the other, I dunno. But everything else, I think you're right. (Even She's All That, IMO, is not remembered so much as the cliches that it propelled into Internet culture snark infamy.)

Edited by TServo2049

Ferris Bueller's Day Off > Back to School

The Untouchables > Beverly Hills Cop II

Thelma & Louise > Backdraft, What About Bob?, Hudson Hawk (1st wknd only), Soapdish (2nd wknd only)

JFK > Hook, Father of the Bride, The Last Boy Scout, Star Trek VI

Field of Dreams > See No Evil, Hear No Evil

Road House > See No Evil, Hear No Evil

Amadeus > Oh God You Devil!, No Small Affair, Places in the Heart, A Soldier's Story (though not The Terminator)

A Nightmare on Elm Street > Missing in Action, Oh God You Devil!, Night of the Comet, Just the Way You Are, Places in the Heart (though again, not The Terminator)

Three Amigos > The Golden Child

Braveheart > Casper (and possibly Die Hard with a Vengeance)

Happy Gilmore > Broken Arrow, Muppet Treasure Island (which also beat it for the President's Day 4-day weekend, but not the 3-day)

Napoleon Dynamite > Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, everything else that outranked it on the weekend where it got to #8 (and I say this as someone who has previously noticed that ND itself seems to not be as remembered as I thought it would become; doesn't matter, it's more remembered than anything above it that weekend)

Edited by TServo2049