Webslinger

Netflix and Simultaneous Streaming Releases

As we probably all know by now, Beasts of No Nation premieres on Netflix on Friday. I don't know about anyone else on this site, but I plan on watching it on Friday night, in between theatrical viewings of one of next weekend's two adult-targeted films on Thursday night and Saturday afternoon (I'm still making up my mind as to whether to see the longer Bridge of Spies at an earlier hour or the shorter Crimson Peak at a later hour on Thursday).

So, with that point in mind, what do you make of the notion to stream new, theatrical films on Netflix? Even though I still see most new movies theatrically, I like the idea of having smaller movies stream simultaneously with their limited openings. I know that this idea is something that filmmakers have been toying with since Steven Soderbergh's Bubble went to DVD and VOD several days after its limited release nearly ten years ago (jeez, it's hard to believe that it's been that long!) and that some independent studios have experimented with the concept via iTunes and on-demand services, but the rollout of Beasts feels even more momentous considering the size and scope of Netflix's movie-streaming base, not to mention the fact that payment is based upon monthly subscription rather than a per-purchase/rental basis (like iTunes). Even The Interview - in the midst of Sony's desperation to salvage any money that they could out of a holiday release gone horribly wrong - went about a month after hitting pay-per-view/rental services before hitting Netflix.

So, I guess I have three questions:

1.) What effect - if any - might Beasts of No Nation have over streaming to Netflix along with a limited theatrical release?

2.) Is this model one that could work on a wider scale? Obviously, I doubt that we'll ever see the day when something like Star Wars, Jurassic World, or Avengers goes streaming-and-theatrical simultaneously, but what about high-interest films that do not necessarily demand big screen viewing (e.g. Fifty Shades of Grey, Pitch Perfect 2, Straight Outta Compton, just to name a few)?

3.) Is this model one that we, as film enthusiasts and more-than-casual box office trackers, would want?
  • Like 1

For viewers it would be really nice. Id love to be able to watch small films from home, even if I have to pay, instead of wait for big rollouts.

Obviously it's not the most optimal way to release most films, even ones like PP2 and Gone Girl. (Obviously from how much money they made as well)

But small films that never make much in theaters anyways? I think it'd be great and work better for them, even if it was a rental method. Most people wouldn't go see something like Beast of No Nation in theaters unless they are film enthusiasts. But if Beast of No Nation is a new Netflix movie for the day, or a 3 dollar rental, people will be more inclined to see it and it'll bring in more revenue. Its also more convenient for viewers who don't necessarily want to see the film in theaters but do want to see the film.

I hope studios continue to push small releases as limited theater releases followed by (or along with) VOD/Netflix releases. I think it's a great idea.

Beasts of No Nation's problem is its subject matter. That on top of the streaming handicap made it DOA.

PS What a masterpiece. This film is amazing and I hope it can find its place in cinema history. It is so calculated in its approach and layered juxtaposition. Genius genius genius.