Grade It:  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Grade It:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

It was good but it definitely needed a better writer.  Casey Affleck was really good as was Pine.  I enjoyed it but it would have been much better if there was a bit more tension in it.

7/10

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Baumer said:

It was good but it definitely needed a better writer.  Casey Affleck was really good as was Pine.  I enjoyed it but it would have been much better if there was a bit more tension in it.

7/10

Nice to hear your thoughts Baumer! I got back about an hour ago and I had more or less the same impression.

Movie was indeed good, but was merely a few more script edits and maybe one rewrite away from being a great one. As far as tension goes, the scene where 

Spoiler

they were climbing from the big tanker to the little rescue boat

was great and had me on the edge of my seat. But that is more "action tension" rather than dramatic tension, and I would have liked to see more dramatic tension. While it isn't certainly the fault of the actors (who were "good" save for Pine and Affleck who were "very good" and Bana who was "okay") but I didn't care really about any of the relationships between any characters. The writing never gave the stroy a chance to fully develop, and the final scene suffered as a result.

Otherwise, the effects were great, the music was good, the rescue itself was awesome as there are truly some edge of your seat moments. The first half merely feels like it's "happening" but it is in the second half where the movie starts to come to life. I'd give it somewhere between a C+ and a B-, but I'm leaning toward that B-.

6.8/10

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 1

Good, entertaining movie. Nothing more, nothing less. The performances were mostly good and the story was fantastic and, from what I read now, fairly accurate (save for the relationship between Bernie and Miriam who were already married and she was home sick). Also one shouldn't overlook the effects which were well done.

***½/*****, (B, 6.7/10, 2.75/4)