Risen (2016)  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Being of the Christian faith I may be a little biased. but I am aware that there are a lot of low-quality "faith" based films, that are at the least on a technical level, pretty bad. 

That is why I found Risen to be a breath of fresh air in that department. budgeted at $20m it's not a huge scale film. and sure it could have gone a little more epic with more. but the way it was presented- mostly from the Personal view of a centurion trying to locate the body of "Yahshua" after its disappearance, from the tomb he was placed in after crucifixion. is well crafted. and what was lacking in budget was made up for in talent. the camera work is very well executed, and really helps the story move forward and adds depth to the film. and the fact that it actually has a budget to work with helps. The costumes are well made, the makeup is hollywood level. and most of all Joseph Fiennes steals the show, making a by the books centurion's doubt and determination to find the truth believable, and although in the end it does take a bit of the classic route, it adds a unique and more broadly appealing approach to the story that isn't quite as in your face preachy as most of the genre. I really loved this film. it was a huge surprise for me.  A

Edited by Kalo

I'm not religious but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy a religious movie. For the most part, this was pretty good and provided I pretty cool look on this event. The writing itself became very disjointed towards the end and the movie did drag, but I'm surprised that I wound up enjoying it. There are more positives than negatives I'll say.

Its not for everyone but its not a super religious movie where its all about wacky dialogue and miracles.

It is grounded in some sort of reality making it seem more 'believable' but does not become soulless and boring like Noah and Exodus. 

Quite surprised, if you like historical films it would be a decent watch

7/10.