cannastop

Should there be more animated features?

14 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Yep. Making an animated film is really hard and time-consuming. The ones people actually love usually go through years of story development and there's a lot of behind-the-scenes drama that's never made public. I definitely don't want more animated films if they're not of the quality of Disney and Pixar films and would do nothing to lessen the stigma of the medium being solely for kids.

Again, I'm talking about finding a way to make more of the good ones.

Also, the storytelling by committee dynamic that Lasseter has set up is not the only way to make an animated film. For instance, it's not at all how Studio Ghibli makes its movies.

3 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Well, right now Ghibli isn't the best example of a stable business, their filmmaking quality notwithstanding

That's because their main storyteller is retired.

WDAS and Pixar, on the other hand, have a lot more storytellers in their staff, and they can be given more leeway to make the movies they want to make.

• Like 1

Well, again, the main hope right now for an expansion in quality animation appears to lie with Locksmith. Pixar's probably going to stay conservative for awhile as they recover from The Good Dinosaur, and I imagine the same holds true for WDA with the Disney Company's larger financial struggles.

2 minutes ago, Boxx93 said:

More animated movies for adults would be nice though.

They'd have to know there is a demand for one, though.

But then again, who says that a PG movie can't be for adults? Would Zootopia or The Incredibles be better movies if the characters said "damn" and "shit" and if they showed characters getting bullets shot into them?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cannastop said:

They'd have to know there is a demand for one, though.

But then again, who says that a PG movie can't be for adults? Would Zootopia or The Incredibles be better movies if the characters said "damn" and "shit" and if they showed characters getting bullets shot into them?

I am talking about animated content where you dont have to restrain yourself. How awesome would it be if a hard-R Black Lagoon type of movie/TV show exist with the budget of an american animation studio?

That is why I have high hopes for Sausage Party and Batman: The Killing Joke, because depending on the success of those movies studios will be more open to make more adult animated movies just like Deadpool made studios more open for R rated superhero movies.

55 minutes ago, Boxx93 said:

I am talking about animated content where you dont have to restrain yourself. How awesome would it be if a hard-R Black Lagoon type of movie/TV show exist with the budget of an american animation studio?

That is why I have high hopes for Sausage Party and Batman: The Killing Joke, because depending on the success of those movies studios will be more open to make more adult animated movies just like Deadpool made studios more open for R rated superhero movies.

Yes, but there is a thing called branding. I can possibly see WDAS or PIXAR releasing a PG-13 movie, but an R rated one would just confuse the public.

3 hours ago, Boxx93 said:

A problem with R-rated animated movies is that even though their subject matter is too mature for kids, they still tend to be limited to one certain genre: ultraprofane comedies. There haven't been many that have actually tried to take themselves seriously, where the story is the main hook rather than "Ooh, look how bold and edgy we are with our animated movie that isn't for kids"

Edited by tribefan695

1 hour ago, tribefan695 said:

A problem with R-rated animated movies is that even though their subject matter is too mature for kids, they still tend to be limited to one certain genre: ultraprofane comedies. There haven't been many that have actually tried to take themselves seriously, where the story is the main hook rather than "Ooh, look how bold and edgy we are with our animated movie that isn't for kids"

Batman: The Killing Joke does not look like an ultraprofane comedy at all.

3 hours ago, cannastop said:

Yes, but there is a thing called branding. I can possibly see WDAS or PIXAR releasing a PG-13 movie, but an R rated one would just confuse the public.

I know Disney and Pixar cant really do that, but they can always create a sub-label for more risky movies, like they did in the 80s with Touchstone Pictures.

Of all the Animation studios in America I can see WB Animation and DreamWorks getting away with that.