The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water    Par.    $162,994,032

Home (2015)    Fox    $177,397,510

Hotel Transylvania 2    Sony    $169,700,110

Minions    Uni.    $336,045,770    

Inside Out    BV    $356,461,711    

Zootopia    BV    $328,162,582

Kung Fu Panda 3    Fox    $142,230,874    

It's a high batting average, too.

If you ask me, there should be an expansion of hiring in the animation industry in Hollywood, just so that they can produce more of these films. Maybe they can also experiement with films that don't necessarily appeal to family audiences.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kalo said:

No, they have plenty, maybe even too many. wish they would make more 2D animated films though, especially Disney.

Well, that falls under the category of animated feature.

I'd like that too, really. But if people already see these movies, how can you say that there are too many of them?

2 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Yeah I'd be down as fuck for more non-CG animated movies from any filmmaker/studio/country. 

The problem is if audiences would trust the 2-D format to be a good movie.

What if Zootopia was 2-D? Would people be confused at first? Would the hoopla over its medium overshadow the hoopla over its themes?

Just now, cannastop said:

Well, that falls under the category of animated feature.

I'd like that too, really. But if people already see these movies, how can you say that there are too many of them?

Because there are, too many animated films, will almost certainly cause a decrease in quality and demand. and aside from Disney, Pixar and DreamWorks (sometimes). and WB's Lego movies (first one anyways). they are mostly kiddy fare with little quality value aside from surface entertainment, if even that. we don't need any more Norm of the North's or Happy Feets oversaturating the market and tainting the brand. that way when they do come out it is an event and sometimes an excellent one at that (Zootopia, Inside Out ect...)

Just now, Kalo said:

Because there are, too many animated films, will almost certainly cause a decrease in quality and demand. and aside from Disney, Pixar and DreamWorks (sometimes). and WB's Lego movies (first one anyways). they are mostly kiddy fare with little quality value aside from surface entertainment, if even that. we don't need any more Norm of the North's or Happy Feets oversaturating the market and tainting the brand. that way when they do come out it is an event and sometimes an excellent one at that (Zootopia, Inside Out ect...)

I suggested that studios hire more staff so that they can create more good animated features.

If people are denying that there is a superhero glut, then certainly there is no animation glut.

5 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

This isn't a question that can be answered with a simple "yes" or "no". If an idea works best animated, it should be animated. If it works best live action, then it should be live action.

Well, the people in animation studios tend to come up with ideas that work well in animation. I suggested expanding those studios.

Expansion hasn't been working out very well recently. Dreamworks is being stretched thin by its China ventures and Pixar had to shut down their Vancouver studio when they delayed The Good Dinosaur. 

Locksmith could be an interesting new player in a few years, but right now I wouldn't expect much of a hiring boom among the current giants. At any rate there have been more animated movies being made over the past half-decade, as evidenced by the fact that the number of Oscar nominees for Best Animated hasn't been much of a concern of late.

Edited by tribefan695

4 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Expansion hasn't been working out very well recently. Dreamworks is being stretched thin by its China ventures and Pixar had to shut down their Vancouver studio when they delayed The Good Dinosaur. 

Locksmith could be an interesting new player in a few years, but right now I wouldn't expect much of a hiring boom among the current giants. At any rate there have been more animated movies being made over the past half-decade, as evidenced by the fact that the number of Oscar nominees for Best Animated hasn't been much of a concern of late.

I was thinking of expanding at their current locations domestically.

I'm no expert on HR, though, and that could cause some problems. I didn't know Pixar had a Vancouver location, though! Apparently, it only lasted 3 years.

Maybe the smaller number is the reason they do so well?

Theres also the question of whether there is enough talent to say double the output of high quality animation. 

I mean already now there is at least 1 norm of the north,  strange magic,  planes fire and rescue or legend of Oz for each inside out our Kung Fu panda

On 5/13/2016 at 11:42 AM, Dexter of Suburbia said:

I like teo see more 2D hand drawn animation and claymation films. How many more animation films do we have this year.  

Angry Birds, Project Itoh - Harmony, Finding Dory, The Secret Life of Pets, Phantom Boy, Ice Age: Collision Course, Sausage Party, Kubo and the Two Strings, The Wild Life, Storks, Trolls, Moana, Sing. 

Edited by Kalo

10 minutes ago, Kalo said:

Angry Birds, Project Itoh - Harmony, Finding Dory, The Secret Life of Pets, Phantom Boy, Ice Age: Collision Course, Sausage Party, Kubo and the Two Strings, The Wild Life, SPA TBA, Storks, Trolls, Moana, Sing. 

I'm pretty sure SPA TBA is Storks.

10 hours ago, chasmmi said:

Maybe the smaller number is the reason they do so well?

Theres also the question of whether there is enough talent to say double the output of high quality animation. 

I mean already now there is at least 1 norm of the north,  strange magic,  planes fire and rescue or legend of Oz for each inside out our Kung Fu panda

Yep. Making an animated film is really hard and time-consuming. The ones people actually love usually go through years of story development and there's a lot of behind-the-scenes drama that's never made public. I definitely don't want more animated films if they're not of the quality of Disney and Pixar films and would do nothing to lessen the stigma of the medium being solely for kids.

• Like 2

Storks is Warner. I think the Sony movie was a placeholder that just never materialized into anything. Might've been Lauren Faust's Medusa at one point but that's now on the backburner.

Edited by tribefan695