Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday

6 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I was so excited when the beginning of this film was before my eyes. The music, the darkness, the atmosphere. The beginning of this movie starts off just like the first four. It was tense and it had the exact feel of what we all loved about the early Fridays. The chase, the unnecessary nudity, the false scares, the mirror, and finally Jason in all of his gory splendor coming back one more time to wreak havoc on Crystal Lake. But then suddenly, he is blown up. He is dead, for real this time. I mean he is not like the T-1000 from Terminator that can put himself back together. So how does the movie go on from here? Well to be honest, if the film would have ended after the first ten minutes, I would have been more satisfied than I was at the end of this film. Simply put, I was cheated. I was enticed with what seemed to be a perfect Friday the 13th feel and then they went back to what made the last few suck so bad. What the hell were they thinking? Why the blatant disregard for us as horror fans? And why did they start off so well and then just kill us when Jason dies? By having his spirit enter into the body of some other people, it is a theme that has been done before. And to have the talent to make the Friday feel, and then deviate from that feel, well that is just despicable.

For those of us that really like the films from the early 80's, we were teased. We were lied to and for that I am still mad to this day. And to be honest, when I found out that New Line had decided to produce the films instead of Paramount, I knew that some how, some way, there would be some Freddy reference in it. And besides the beginning, that was actually the best part. Now if they only find a way to make the next film somewhat entertaining, then it could be fun again. But judging by how bad they butchered this one, don't hold your breath.

Steve and Sean should be ashamed of themselves.

4/10

I hated just about everything about this movie and worst of all, and I couldn't even say this about the god-awful Jason Takes Manhattan, it was so frickin' boring and nonsensical. Parts 6 and 7 had its problems but man this series took a nosedive with Part 8 and #9 (and I've heard Jason X might be worse).

½*/*****, (F-, 1/10, 0/4)

• Like 1

Kane Hodder has developed a cult like following but once he came along and decided to try to give Jason some personality, with heavy breathing and angry eyes and so on, the films went to shit.

All the old ones first:

4 and 3 are near perfect horror films to me, 2 is very close, 1 is a bit further but still good, 5 makes about as much sense as TDKR but I still love it and 6 is the last of the passable films imo.  7 is bad but not horrible and then 8-9-10 are just ridiculously shit.

What about you?

Edited by baumer

All the old ones first:

4 and 3 are near perfect horror films to me, 2 is very close, 1 is a bit further but still good, 5 makes about as much sense as TDKR but I still love it and 6 is the last of the passable films imo.  7 is bad but not horrible and then 8-9-10 are just ridiculously shit.

What about you?

I don't remember much from Part 3 actually. 2, 4 and 6 are my favorites (even though I didn't appreciate the more comedic approach Part 6 took). The rest are pretty shitty, imo. That being said, the MPAA always had it in for the Friday series, and from what I can understand Part 7 got butchered by the censors. So who knows how some of them might have turned out.

Edited by The Stingray™

Same with 5.  I remember being 13 or 14 years old and the film (part 5) got YANKED from Canadian cinemas so that the MPAA could butcher it.  I'd love to see the uncut versions of those films.

I think there are some semi-uncut versions out there, but I might be wrong. Have you read the book, Crystal Lake Memories? It details stuff like this pretty well, and I think it is an essential read for die hard Friday fans. :)

Funny thing about me and the Fridays is that I had seen all of them, except the original, before I was 10 years old. And I didn't see Part 1 until some 10 years later.

Edited by The Stingray™
  • Like 1