K1stpierre

The Descent (2006)

Grade it  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

Didn't see this movie on here so thought I'd add it. Overall if you're someone who is extremely claustrophobic (you are seriously scared of tight spaces) then this movie will definitely make you feel at unease, as it takes places in caverns (aka they are climbers). Even for someone like me who doesn't really care about being confined, there were times that I thought the film really did a good job at making you feel like you were there, and I even got really uncomfortable. The pace was pretty good, I love when horror films take their time and get you anxious for a scare vs. spoiling you know a days within ten minutes. I saw it again a few weeks ago so it's not clear in my mind, but I want to say that it's like 40 minutes or so until you actually get into the scares, but I found it worth it. 

I think the biggest weakness in this film to me, are the characters, which is a huge problem. Now I do remember there being a scene in the beginning in the film that was traumatic to the main character and it had something to do with Juno (again, my memory is foggy). However I do remember finding that it didn't really mesh up with why Juno was putting these girls in such a terrible and even dangerous situation in the first place (I mean never mind monsters, even in a realistic sense so much can go wrong when you go to climb a cavern you've, A). Never been in; and B). Even worse, don't have a map for). All the minor characters are completely forgettable, they have really no personality to me whatsoever and I don't remember much of anything about them. In fact even the main character (the blonde) I don't even remember her name (which is bad as I even saw the sequel, The Descent 2 and still can't remember her name. Tells you something.....though in fairness that movie was really bad). The only reason why I remember Juno is because.....well....it's unique and two, because even though she can be a hated character, she was actually the only character in the movie that actually had a personality in it and you could talk about lol. 

As for the monsters, I found them to be pretty cool. I'm sure some might find them basic considering they look basically human except for the paleness (obviously since they get no sun light) and their eyes......err....and maybe their teeth. I liked the method of them not being able to see, it actually makes sense. I'm curious though if the director when creating these monsters, are they ancestors to us? Or a completely different species entirely? I know it's not important really, I'm just curious.

All in all, it's an okay film. It has it's moments that will grip you considering the situation you're in (aka, being trapped literally with inches of breathing room at times and could be crushed to death in seconds). However the lack of characters you care for I think is the biggest kryptonite with this film because other than that I would have really liked this film, damn shame. I give it a C+/B-, 6/10. (I'll give it the B rating as it's closer to that).

• Like 2