Ezen Baklattan

Spaghetti Kitchen - Year 2

5 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I’m curious about this so I can improve.

So games like Bandicoot generally involve traveling from place to place and fighting a bad guy - so many of the fights in the movie, especially the one of the guy who just woke up, felt like bosses in a video game rather than organic narrative issues. Think about the pacing of your favorite movies and use that to frame the story of the game, not the other way around.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Shape of Pasta said:

So games like Bandicoot generally involve traveling from place to place and fighting a bad guy - so many of the fights in the movie, especially the one of the guy who just woke up, felt like bosses in a video game rather than organic narrative issues. Think about the pacing of your favorite movies and use that to frame the story of the game, not the other way around.

Thank you so much for the advice. 

OCTOBER

Little Demons - :jeb!:

Getting past the racism....it's nice to see Burton and Selick back in their stop motion form, but the quality of the script and music beg the question of whether it really needed to be an unearthed project.

Samurai Pizza Cats - :qotd:

It's an odd yet cute and funny little story that manages to work in spite of how silly it all proves to be, or perhaps because of it.

Isolation - :qotd:

A pulpy, enjoyable murder mystery featuring another badass turn from Liam Neeson - it was somewhat easy to detect the responsible party, but figuring out their motive made things interesting. I definitely enjoyed it.

Midnight in the Afghan Valley - :qotd:

The concept of exploring the human and civilian toll of the War on Terror is an interesting and rewarding choice, but if the film had spent somewhat more time letting us be with these characters, especially the civilians, then it could have been something truly special. As it stands, it's a very good film, if a bit overhyped and mildly sensationalized.

Lenny Lipton and the Super Scary Sleepover - :apocalypse:

A cute, painless kids movie - I got a kick out of the parody of @Xillix's horror films.

• Like 4

The Amityville Nightmare - :qotd:

I do agree with @4815162342 that it suffers from trying to squeeze too much into such a brief run time, but that doesn't mean that this isn't a fun and inspired time - the scares here are truly effective stuff, and David Sandberg's direction truly elevates the movie from being just another dull horror film, down to the excellent scares, superb performances, and wonderful cinematography. I do think it needed more space to breathe, if not more simplicity and focus, but this was by no means a bad time. It's quite a chillingly good one, in fact.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Shape of Pasta said:

November drops tomorrow morning.

For December, I'm going to review every film...

Reveal hidden contents

You do that, I'll just go ahead and review Closed Domain.

NOVEMBER

Sitting Ducks - :apocalypse:

A decently charming buddy comedy which does manage to contain a few laughs, even if it struggles elsewhere. (On the other hand, @Hiccup23 some paragraph breaks would very much be appreciated.)

Treasure Planet - :jeb!:

I dig the animated version, but this virtually identical live action retelling does little to make itself stand out, aside from cool visual touches. I love Tatum and Larson, but they are WOEFULLY miscast in this. (Emily Blunt would have KILLED it as Amelia)

The Island - :qotd:

It's a fun, atmospheric thriller with some truly exceptional direction from Guillermo Del Toro in the visual sense, although the story and dialogue definitely feels a lot less effective. It's somewhat on the nose a lot of the time, and Philip feels like too much of a cartoonishly diabolical villain. That, and his defeat feels like a direct ripoff of THE SHAPE OF WATER. I liked it a good bit, but I was a bit disappointed.

Storm Hunters - :sparta:

Fuck, I really enjoyed this one. With sharp direction from Edwards and a more interesting, streamlined take on the disaster genre, it's a really good time and maybe my favorite disaster movie of CAYOM so far.

Deathsgiving - :kitschjob:

I'm aware of what the film is trying to do, but it eventually becomes an awkward, convoluted trainwreck that somehow turns into a ripoff of the plot of Murder on the Orient Express. I like the idea, not so much the execution.

The Encounter....Airport 2018 - :jeb!:

The plot is kind of weird, and it does get pretty corny, but it does have moments of fun and inspiration. Not the worst choice for a Thanksgiving movie outing, unlike....

My Life To Waste - :bourne:

Please don't hate me for this @Hiccup23 but....this was a big disappointment. The plot becomes almost hilariously nihilistic - his parents died, his girlfriend (who suddenly has CANCER) dumped him, his friend is a dick, he dies, he was adopted, his birth mother hates him, and his birth father is a creepy stalker - not to mention a horrific abuser. THEN, our battered protagonists ends thinking it was because of him not loving the people close to him, and not the other way around. It becomes disguisting manipulative and dishonest, and we don't truly see Sam evolve from this pain, simply because he has to suffer all throughout the movie. The acting is good....at times, but the actors aren't able to avoid ridiculously overacting at certain points. Sorry, Hic, but I did not like this in the slightest.

Ho! Ho! Ho! - :wintf:

No! No! No!

---

December drops tonight, Voltron: Rise of Lotor will be in a separate post, lest I keep the rest of you waiting too long.