Hiccup23

CAYOM Year 3: Discussion

4 minutes ago, Isle of Pasta said:

....but what did you really think?! I’ve got time to change it!!

I never actually read it 

:hahaha:

Might do so later today tho

Edited by cookie

5 minutes ago, cookie said:
  Reveal hidden contents

LMAO

I do actually want to tweak a few things with it, though. I’ll try to make some edits within the hour so it should be smoother to read.

will admit I’m still not 100% satisfied with Jakey G’s characterization.

1 hour ago, Isle of Pasta said:

.....not sure if serious. 

But at the same time.....it may need a lot of work.

As a huge fan of the first one:

Well start by saying the movie has a couple hella incredible setpices and Sasha is still great in the lead. Jake G is a simply passable villain but that's fine 

My big complaint:

The most interesting thing going on in the movie is the human/alien relation stuff. Which was really powerful in the Chicago scenes which are easily the strongest sequence in the movie. But after that it doesn't ever really revisit the idea which feels both awkward and disappointing 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

As a huge fan of the first one:

Well start by saying the movie has a couple hella incredible setpices and Sasha is still great in the lead. Jake G is a simply passable villain but that's fine 

My big complaint:

Hide contents

The most interesting thing going on in the movie is the human/alien relation stuff. Which was really powerful in the Chicago scenes which are easily the strongest sequence in the movie. But after that it doesn't ever really revisit the idea which feels both awkward and disappointing 

That's a good point. I'll try to work that thread in with the rest of the movie. I've been struggling with finding a place to do so organically, though.

Spoiler

The climax, especially where a bunch of civilians go to help Alex defeat Venchell, can deliver a bit of a theme where "we're different but stronger together." That could be a good way to implement it, methinks. 

What grade would you give it?

3 minutes ago, Isle of Pasta said:

That's a good point. I'll try to work that thread in with the rest of the movie. What grade would you give it?

I'd say probably  a B+/A-. Still an exciting blockbuster with interesting ideas that don't always feel fully fleshed out.

Looking forward to giving it another go if you make edits :)

• Like 1

Just now, Ethan Hunt said:

I'd say probably  a B+/A-. Still an exciting blockbuster with interesting ideas that don't always feel fully fleshed out.

Looking forward to giving it another go if you make edits :)

Will say, though. Interspecies racism is going to be a bigger theme in the third film. The big thing I wanted to do here was give closure to the story of Alex's true family.

• Like 1

I joked about Gyllenhaal being the worst thing in the movie in my troll review but he really is the black hole that sinks this movie. What was his motivation even?

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, cookie said:

I joked about Gyllenhaal being the worst thing in the movie in my troll review but he really is the black hole that sinks this movie. What was his motivation even?

I had written his a character yearning for power without any real inward exploration as to why. But reading it again....it needs something really, REALLY different.

48 minutes ago, Isle of Pasta said:

I had written his a character yearning for power without any real inward exploration as to why. But reading it again....it needs somethings by really, REALLY different.

But the way his plan matches up with that makes little to no sense. Half the stuff he does in the movie doesn't add up to anything.

Go ahead and do a serious rewrite because as it is a mess. A LOW B- because I still like the main characters and the visuals.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1