AndyLL

Derby Leagues Are Coming

It's time to take the Derby to a new level.

We are going to have Derby Leagues for the Summer season.

Proposed Rules:

Base Leagues

• 10 players per league
  • Free
  • Can only be a member of 1 league
  • Normal weekly Derby % determines the winner of the matches every week
  • Round robin between players in league for 1st 9 weeks
  • Then 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8, 9-10 play each other weekly until post season. Reseeded every week
  • 3 round post season – 6 top teams with top 2 getting byes
  • Forum Account Credit prizes –   TBD
  • Special account for the winner for a period of time.

Competitive League

• Same rules as base leauge
  • 1-2 leagues depending on interest
  • Top players will have priority to join
  • $20 forum donation to join
  • 1st-3rd payout: TBD but likely Fandango Gift Cards of $75, $50, $25

ALL forum donations in excess of the payouts go towards running the forum or to offset account credits given as prizes.  BOT does not take a profit from these donations

• Like 3

The above rules are what I have programmed right now.  This thread is for discussion of the leagues and I'm happy to hear any suggestions.

For the base leagues I'm planning to take all that are interested and randomly place them in the leagues.  However if groups of people want to play in the same league I'll take that under consideration.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2018 at 2:23 PM, ChipMunky said:

I think you would have to randomize the teams to keep it as fair as possible.

That is what this thread is for... to decide issues like that.  If nobody participates and gives their opinions then I'll go with how I think it should work.

For your example... there is 2 ways to do it:

1) Every leagues members are completely random

2) Place players in the league in ranked order... the historical top players would be in one league... the next 10 ranked players in the next league... and so forth.

I like keeping the possibility of huge upsets alive.

That being said, it might turn out that this simply means the higher-ranked players win all the time -- which could get boring.

Maybe we could try it one way for a season, and then change it up for next year if people aren't satisfied with how it turned out? How feasible is that, @AndyLL?

28 minutes ago, Trolltastic Tele said:

I like keeping the possibility of huge upsets alive.

That being said, it might turn out that this simply means the higher-ranked players win all the time -- which could get boring.

Maybe we could try it one way for a season, and then change it up for next year if people aren't satisfied with how it turned out? How feasible is that, @AndyLL?

Everything would be changeable from season to season.

One thing I was going to do that would help the average players is that after the 9 weeks of round robin for the next 5-6 weeks until playoffs I was thinking of having each team play the team ranked below them.  1 vs 2, 3 vs 4 ...

The forces some of the top teams to take a lost and give the middle teams a chance to make up some wins.

Not sure how that would work in practice.  Maybe I can simulate it using historical data.

25 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

If it were team captains I'd be picked last.  So yes, make them randomized.

ooooo... I didn't think about having captains pick a team. :winomg:

Not this season but in the future I was thinking of the ability of having 2-4 people teams compete against each other for a season. 

22 minutes ago, Thematrixfilm said:

is regular derby still going to be happening during Derby Leagues, or is Derby Leagues a new transition?

Regular derby still happens.  The scores from the regular derby are what determines who wins the League matches.