SLAM!

Sanju | June 29 2018 | Fox | Indian film listed as wide release after trailer garners 30M views on YouTube

In an interesting turn of events, Box Office Mojo has listed this Bollywood film, about the true story of actor Sanjay Dutt, as a wide release, after the trailer exploded on YouTube with 30 million views and counting - as of this writing, it is still #16 on trending. Whether the film inadvertently used Venom's trailer's simultaneous release as a launch pad is another debate entirely - it is certainly a rarity for this type of film to garner the amount of views that it has.

Here is the description from the YouTube page:

Few lives in our times are as dramatic and enigmatic as the saga of Sanjay Dutt. Coming from a family of cinema legends, he himself became a film star, and then saw dizzying heights and darkest depths: adulation of diehard fans, unending battles with various addictions, brushes with the underworld, prison terms, loss of loved ones, and the haunting speculation that he might or might not be a terrorist. Sanju is in turns a hilarious and heartbreaking exploration of one man’s battle against his own wild self and the formidable external forces trying to crush him. It depicts the journey of a man through everything that life can throw at him. Some true stories leave you thinking “did this really happen?” This is one such unbelievable story that happens to be true.

I firmly believe that this can perform like Baahabuli 2: The Conclusion, Padmaavat, and Bharat Ane Nenu, in which it can have a very impressive debut as a Bollywood film. I also believe that this film has a shot at doing even more than those films, as the film is apparently being distributed by Fox themselves. I'm certainly wondering how this will be able to perform.

Sanju (apparently) opens wide on June 29th, 2018, against MGM's The Hustle, Sony's Sicario: Day of the Soldado, and Lionsgate's Uncle Drew.

This won't go wide. It will get the usual release for an Indian movie. I'm looking forward to this though, will do big business in India. First huge biopic.

The trailer was highly anticipated and released with a big promotion during the IPL match, had nothing to do with Venom whatsoever, weird that you would think that. Indian movie trailers get good views normally, there are over a billion people after all.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

This won't go wide. It will get the usual release for an Indian movie. I'm looking forward to this though, will do big business in India. First huge biopic.

The trailer was highly anticipated and released with a big promotion during the IPL match, had nothing to do with Venom whatsoever, weird that you would think that. Indian movie trailers get good views normally, there are over a billion people after all.

This makes sense to me. It's the first time I've seen an Indian film on the trending page, though. I guess I got carried away there, but it's still pretty exciting! I'm sure this'll still do good business in America like Baahabuli 2: The Conclusion.

I would guess Sanju could get about 1,000 locations, 5-10m OW.  Maybe presales would be a good comparison.  

Wikipedia shows that the language is in 'Hindi' and Baahubali opened with approx. 10m from 425 locations.  

Friday

NEW IN THEATERS DISTRIBUTOR RELEASE
The Hustle
Comedy
MGM Wide
Sanju
Drama
Fox Wide
Sicario: Day of the Soldado
Action / Adventure
Sony / Columbia Wide
Uncle Drew
Comedy
Lionsgate/Summit Wide

1 hour ago, Thematrixfilm said:

I would guess Sanju could get about 1,000 locations, 5-10m OW.  Maybe presales would be a good comparison.  

Wikipedia shows that the language is in 'Hindi' and Baahubali opened with approx. 10m from 425 locations.  

Friday

NEW IN THEATERS DISTRIBUTOR RELEASE
The Hustle
Comedy
MGM Wide
Sanju
Drama
Fox Wide
Sicario: Day of the Soldado
Action / Adventure
Sony / Columbia Wide
Uncle Drew
Comedy
Lionsgate/Summit Wide

I really do think it'll be somewhere between 600 and 1,000. Bollywood films are doing better domestically, Bollywood soap operas are commonly referenced by internet culture, the film is looking to be a big hit in its home country... it could surprise for sure.

Edited by Slambros
  • Like 1

There is good amount of buzz for this movie and it looks like perfect comeback movie for Ranbir Kapoor after lacklustre Jagga Jasoos. 

This will open big as people liked the teaser a lot and it was trending in Top 10 for several days in YT India. The makeup and styling looks perfect. In some shots he looks like Sanjay Dutt himself. 

• Like 1

a clip from deadline

https://deadline.com/2018/07/jurassic-world-fallen-kingdom-uncle-drew-sicario-weekend-box-office-1202419558/

Breaking into the top 10 is Sanju, with $2.55M, which at 356 theaters is the widest Bollywood release ever stateside. The Fox International Productions biopic follows the controversial life of actor Sanjay Dutt who came from a family of cinema legends. As he rose, he fell hard, succumbing to addictions, a prison sentence and speculation that he may be a terrorist. Pic is directed by Rajkumar Hirani and is simultaneously being released in 66 countries at a global 5,5K runs.