IronJimbo

The 2020 Box Office Predictions Thread.

The 2020 Box Office Predictions Thread

The 2019 box office predictions thread was released in the final quarter of last year so I've taken it on myself to create the thread for 2020.

Here is the list of every all known films being released in 2020 sorted by release date [source: Wikipedia]

Spoiler

January 3rd - Untitled Blumhouse film
January 10th - The Mitchells vs. the Machines
January 17th - Just Mercy
January 17th - Bad Boys For Life
January 17th - Untitled Universal Event Film
January 24th - Doctor Sleep
February 7th - Untitled Warner Bros. event film
February 7th - Peter Rabbit 2
February 14th - Untitled Disney live-action film
February 14th - Nimona
February 14th - Untitled DC Extended Universe film
February 14th - Untitled Blumhouse Productions film
February 14th - Legally Blonde 3
February 21st - Bloodshot
March 6th - Untitled Pixar film
March 13th - Untitled Marvel / Fox film
March 27th - Mulan
March 27th - G.I. Joe: Ever Vigilant
April 3rd - Cyborg
April 3rd - Untitled Sony Pictures Animation film
April 10th - Fast and Furious 9
April 17th - Trolls World Tour
May 1st - Untitled Marvel Studios film
May 8th - Barbie
May 15th - Untitled Will Packer film
May 15th - Scooby
May 22nd - Godzilla vs. Kong
May 29th - Maleficent II
June 5th - The Six Billion Dollar Man
June 5th - Untitled DC Extended Universe film
June 12th - Red Notice
June 19th - Untitled Pixar film
June 26th - In the Heights
June 26th - Untitled Marvel / Fox film
July 3rd - Minions 2
July 17th - Untitled Bob's Burgers film
July 17th - Untitled Universal event film
July 17th - The SpongeBob Movie: It's a Wonderful Sponge
July 24th - Green Lantern Corps
July 24th - Untitled Sony Pictures Animation film
July 31st - Untitled Marvel Studios film
August 7th - Untitled Warner Bros. event film
August 7th - Untitled Paramount Animation film
August 14th - Untitled Universal event film
September 18th - The Croods 2
September 25th - Untitled Sony Pictures Animation film
October 2nd - Bios
October 2nd - Untitled Marvel / Fox film
October 9th - Untitled Disney live-action film
October 16th - Untitled Blumhouse horror film
October 16th - Micronauts
November 6th - Untitled Marvel Studios film[49]
November 6th - Ron's Gone Wrong
November 6th - Vivo
November 13th - Untitled Rugrats film
November 13th - Untitled Universal event film
November 20th - Third Fantastic Beasts film[55]
November 25th - Untitled Disney animated film
December 18th - Avatar 2
December 23rd - Untitled Disney live-action film
December 25th - Sherlock Holmes 3
December 25th - Sing 2

Jimbo's Key Players

Worldwide: $3b to $4.7b
Domestic: $900m to $1.1b

Now you maybe thinking I only made this thread because of Avatar 2 and you would be right, there is no shame in being hyped for the sequel to the highest grossing film of all time directed by the film-making visionary and explorer sensation James 'Jim' Cameron. You maybe thinking my predictions are insane but that's the nature of James Cameron at the box office. The prediction comes about with my absolute trust in the films quality, there's no reason for me to believe this film won't be incredible. We're to expect [revolutionary new 3d to the best of Jim's ability], [Avatar on steriods], [film-making innovations], [smart screen-writing], [exceed even Jim's expectations] and to [shit ourselves with our mouths wide-open]. My worldwide prediction has such a big range for one reason which is China, in 2009 Avatar tripled the current champion of the box office gross and became the new champ ($66m to $200m). The problem with China is the unpredictability of the government, they could just block Avatar 2 all together because they find the message of the film not to their liking.

Mulan

Worldwide: $1.60b

Domestic: $400m

I've got a feeling this one will be big, we're entering an age of Disney live-action remakes worse than the original but I've got hope this one could be better than the original. It's setting could look visually fantastic in live-action on the big screen. Beauty and the Beast made $1.3b somehow, it's unfair really because it wasn't a great film. Has the potential to break-out massively in China and made it the second highest grossing live-action Disney remake behind the unreleased Lion King.

Minions 2

Worldwide: $1.4b

Domestic: $400m

The first Minions (2015) made $1.1b worldwide and Despicable Me 3 made $1b worldwide (2017), does this mean the franchise is declining? I don't think so. People love those dumb yellow capsules and I think we're looking at a increase worldwide as the franchise has unfortunately been growing overseas.

Fast and Furious 9

Worldwide: $1.5m
Domestic: $320m

The Fate of the Furious did lacklustre compared to it's predecessor in Furious 7. It will have been 3 years since number 8 so it's gives a little longer for them to cool down, I reckon it will rise again with inflation and market growth (China!) around to where Furious 7 landed.

Fantastic Beasts 3

Worldwide: $930m
Domestic: $260m

This one's easy as Harry Potter is such a consistent franchise, FB2 will increase from the first film by 5% from inflation then FB3 will do so aswell.

Honourable Mentions

The Batman - Batman has grossed over a billion before, he seems to me like the most popular superhero.

Guardians 3 - I think this one is a known entity so it can't break out, something like $600-950m

Godzilla vs Kong - If the Godzilla film this year is good I can see this one breaking out big time.

Maybe I'm missing something obvious but I'll update my predictions as time passes and more information is gained, for now it's a stab in the dark.

Missed the 2019 thread? It's still up and running here, go check it out.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

INB4 Avatar 2 is pushed back to 2021

14 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

The Batman - Batman has grossed over a billion before, he seems to me like the most popular superhero.

Guardians 3 - I think this one is a known entity so it can't break out, something like $600-950m

Godzilla vs Kong - If the Godzilla film this year is good I can see this one breaking out big time.

I don’t think GV3 is making 2020 anymore but that’s still a bit low.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

INB4 Avatar 2 is pushed back to 2021

I don’t think GV3 is making 2020 anymore but that’s still a bit low.

Avatar 2 and 3 have finished all the motion capture (over a 100 days of it) and they're doing the live action stuff now.

I don't think I could take another setback...

The upper range of the GV3 seems about right but I thought the controversy could have an impact maybe like Solo.

Early guestimates but fuck it:

Minions 2 will decrease majority both domestically and somewhat WW, it’ll be the IA5 of the DM franchise ($190M/$800M)

Mulan does TJB Numbers DOM/BATB Numbers WW

Maleficent 2 bombs hard, also Rugrats too.

The Mitchells vs The Machines and Scooby breaks out 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Avatar 2 and 3 have finished all the motion capture (over a 100 days of it) and they're doing the live action stuff now.

I don't think I could take another setback...

The upper range of the GV3 seems about right but I thought the controversy could have an impact maybe like Solo.

Well, you obviously missed the joke.

Solo was a movie no one wanted not even Star Wars fans and they took the one good thing away (Lord/Miller).

GV3, I honestly feel the GA won’t care about the Gunn thing, but I actually can see where you’re coming from, probably something like $750M-$1B seems to be the right range.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Early guestimates but fuck it:

Minions 2 will decrease majority both domestically and somewhat WW, it’ll be the IA5 of the DM franchise ($190M/$800M)

Mulan does TJB Numbers DOM/BATB Numbers WW

Maleficent 2 bombs hard, also Rugrats too.

The Mitchells vs The Machines and Scooby breaks out 

Would love to see a SCOOBY breakout, that would be lit. Scooby 2 monsters unleashed is one of the best films of all time, scrabby dabby doo is a legend.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

The 2019 box office predictions thread was released in the final quarter of last year so I've taken it on myself to create the thread for 2020.

Isnt that a bit too early (also this thread).... ?

Many movies can get delayed going from now to late 2019

3 minutes ago, NamakFiskKa said:

Isnt that a bit too early (also this thread).... ?

Many movies can get delayed going from now to late 2019

Really just a discussion thread about 2020 films and making first predictions, peoples final predictions come after a films trailers have been released.