Fullbuster

Russia Box Office

Swedish ABBA was very popular in The Soviet Union. That was the key factor. Besides it has a nice setting and appealed both to young and old people. The Miserables? Not so much. It's a boring classic book no one cares much about. As I know local stars were not involved in dubbing and the songs will be subtitled. Most of the film actually will be subtitled and our general audience doesnt like that much. And the screen count will be just average. 400-500 screens I guess. 6-8m total would be good. 10m excellent. 

Can't accept miserable'BO would just eqaul to a rarely known Chinese moive, that's a failure in Russia.

You don't understand. Jackie Chan is a legend here. He is very popular in former Soviet Union countries since the 80-s. His old action movies like Armor of God have cult status for many years. Millions VHS were sold and most of them were pirated copies of course. So called video saloons made huge money with his early films.

And this  film brought nostalgic feelings in many people. Add here good advertising and expensive tickets in 3D and IMAX. It was a certain hit from very beginning. The only question was how strong it will be. 

By the way pretty good Sunday so far with only 5% drop. Parker dipped by 12%.

Dino Time has exceptional multiplyer this weekend still nothing impressive overall. Family movies usually increase on Sunday in Russia. 

You don't understand. Jackie Chan is a legend here. He is very popular in former Soviet Union countries since the 80-s. His old action movies like Armor of God have cult status for many years. Millions VHS were sold and most of them were pirated copies of course. So called video saloons made huge money with his early films.And this film brought nostalgic feelings in many people. Add here good advertising and expensive tickets in 3D and IMAX. It was a certain hit from very beginning. The only question was how strong it will be. By the way pretty good Sunday so far with only 5% drop. Parker dipped by 12%.Dino Time has exceptional multiplyer this weekend still nothing impressive overall. Family movies usually increase on Sunday in Russia.

Oh, I see. Actually, Jackie Chan is quite famous in uk as well, apparenly I made a mistake treading Jackie'moive as normal Chinese moive.And the 5% decrease in sunday means the total amount even higher than the expected 4.3m, does it imply a strong holding for next week? Edited by dinayingmixxx

Oh, I see. Actually, Jackie Chan is quite famous in uk as well, apparenly I made a mistake treading Jackie'moive as normal Chinese moive.And the 5% decrease in sunday means the total amount even higher than the expected 4.3m, does it imply a strong holding for next week?

Probably more like 4.4 mln. Word of mouth is good but not exceptional. 

Life of Pi passed 900 mln RUB on Sunday. #23 All-Time. Very close to 3 million admissions. 

You don't understand. Jackie Chan is a legend here. He is very popular in former Soviet Union countries since the 80-s. His old action movies like Armor of God have cult status for many years. Millions VHS were sold and most of them were pirated copies of course. So called video saloons made huge money with his early films.

And this  film brought nostalgic feelings in many people. Add here good advertising and expensive tickets in 3D and IMAX. It was a certain hit from very beginning. The only question was how strong it will be. 

By the way pretty good Sunday so far with only 5% drop. Parker dipped by 12%.

Dino Time has exceptional multiplyer this weekend still nothing impressive overall. Family movies usually increase on Sunday in Russia. 

So in Russia Jackie Chan is like Schwarzenneger and Stalone in the US : a symbol of the 80s for many nostalgi people.

Looked in my archieves for past year grosses. The most surprising French hit in Russia Hellphone (2007).

1.81m total and more ticket sold than in France. 

Hellphone..I remember it's a movie for teenagers. How $1.8m is surprising? It's a flop....Or you mean 1.8m admissions?

Hellphone..I remember it's a movie for teenagers. How $1.8m is surprising? It's a flop....Or you mean 1.8m admissions?

Just ask yourself how many french movies grossed $1.8m in Germany for example. One or two per year or sometimes none. 

It was five and a half years ago and still it is grossed more than Intouchables or Les infidèles in 2012. With no big stars, international awards, action or visuals. And it was released by a  small independent distributor here. 

Only  Luc  Besson directedproduced action films or Asterix films can gross more.  

Just ask yourself how many french movies grosse$1.8m in Germany for example. One or two per year or sometimes none. 

It was five and a half years ago and still it is grossed more than Intouchables or Les infidèles in 2012. With no big stars, international awards, action or visuals. And it was released by a  small independent distributor here. 

Only  Luc  Besson directedproduced action films or Asterix films can gross more.  

I guess you mean "Russia" ? :D

But yeah I understand what you say :)

It's probably the worst possible time for mid-week grosses. Students went back to colleges and universities. No school holodays and long weekends till March. For example Dino Time on Monday dropped by 88-89%.  

Edited by juni78ukr

It's probably the worst possible time for mid-week grosses. Students went back to colleges and universities. No school holodays and long weekends till March. For example Dino Time on Monday dropped by 88-89%.  

Seriously? 89% drop? That's way too shocking. If there's No holiday or long weekend for the entire month? I can't image how worse Les Miserables would face this Thursday, and for Chinese zodiac and Parker, it is also a disaster.