excel1

Spider-man at 20

20 years ago, Sam Raimi's Spider-man absolutely exploded on doing day, beginning an all-=time iconic run at the box office and jump starting the comic book blockbuster tentpole trend that continues to this day. It isn't discussed enough, but that film was incredibly influential and remains so to this day. A traditional fun, endearing popcorn origin adventure. I remember waiting in line on opening night like it was yesterday. I was already a box office follower and growing film buff, but I was shocked at how much I enjoyed the film that awaited me inside.

Hard to believe it is already 20 years old. Lets see SPIDER-MAN 4.

• Like 1

It certainly sent the CBM genre into orbit....Yes, X men a couple of years before had been a hit, but not the kind of Blockbuster Spidey was.

The Genre had sort of been dormant for a number of years since the Batman franchsie lost steam, and the thought was that  X Men might have been a fluke, but Spidey level of sucess but the Comic Book Hero genre into high gear .

I remember being excited to see this because I'd heard that it was one of Jim's projects that he hadn't stayed on (and thankfully kept a few of his ideas like the organic web shooters). Saw it on my 34th birthday and loved every second of it. How time flies. 

I can't believe it's been 20 years. This is the cbm that got a lot of people into superheroes OS. A lot of my friends in Europe loved this film. For me, I have the same feeling. This, not X-Men, got me into the superhero craze for good. I was 11 when this came out & I remember it being such a huge hit with casuals & becoming a pop culture phenomenon. It definitely still holds up well despite some discourse in recent years about it's quality. 

Yes I agree, a Spider-Man 4 would most likely be a huge hit.

On 5/3/2022 at 8:25 PM, Eric the Lion said:

I can't with how far we've come in recording technology lmao.

Arguably one of the most important and game-changing blockbusters in history. The MCU owes its existence to this movie reaching the heights that it did and showing what was possible of the genre.