Fullbuster

Brazil Box Office Thread

Nothing new?

I saw it, days a go.

But, there's something new. (Not about box office, but about our cinema)

"Ancine" is unhappy about the 1,310 screens (46% total) for Mockingjay in Brazil. Because it is expelling other films, and ending with the diversity. And they are going to make a reunion about it on 26th, to decide a limit of screens for blockbusters.

If you have interest to know more about it:

(full article in portuguese)

http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/ilustrada/2014/11/1549904-para-ancine-ocupacao-de-salas-por-jogos-vorazes-e-predatoria.shtml

Edited by xSabrinax

I saw it, days a go.

But, there's something new. (Not about box office, but about our cinema)

"Ancine" is unhappy about the 1,310 screens (46% total) for Mockingjay in Brazil. Because it is expelling other films, and ending with the diversity. And they are going to make a reunion about it on 26th, to decide a limit of screens for blockbusters.

If you have interest to know more about it:

(full article in portuguese)

http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/ilustrada/2014/11/1549904-para-ancine-ocupacao-de-salas-por-jogos-vorazes-e-predatoria.shtml

That's not good at all..Governments shouldn't decide about that in a democracy, let markets decide what is better for them because they know better than government agencies...and 46% of screens is not a disaster, with 75% I would understand the need to do that, but less than half? No way.

Now I hope the growth of screens in Brazil is growing fast enough to offset all the negative implications these decisions could have.

I hope THG3 will be a huge success even if the movie doesn't tempt me, just for that.Come on Katniss, pull a $30m :D

I agree that a movie can´t use 46% of the total screens. Think about it, I think 25% must be the limit, if one movie has half of the total screens, it means all the other movies have to share the same amount as one movie. It's not fair, because it's not that simple if i go to the cinema and the movie i want to see has few screens, it will have less shows and that mean less posibilities to watch it, how can people watch no hollywood movies (for example local productions) if that movies don't have screens. I don´t say that movies must be banned, but if a movie gets 25% of the screens i can assure that it will make lots of money if people wants to see it, but the problems is with smaller films. Here in argentina that happens a lot, movies are sometimes 2 weeks on cinema and that is because of lack of screens and publicity, people don't always watch what they want, they watch what they can and what they know, so if we are going to talk about democracy, movies should get more publicity and cinemas so people can really chose what they want.

• Like 1

That's not good at all..Governments shouldn't decide about that in a democracy, let markets decide what is better for them because they know better than government agencies...and 46% of screens is not a disaster, with 75% I would understand the need to do that, but less than half? No way.

Now I hope the growth of screens in Brazil is growing fast enough to offset all the negative implications these decisions could have.

I hope THG3 will be a huge success even if the movie doesn't tempt me, just for that.Come on Katniss, pull a $30m :D

I think it's unnecessary. I mean, TFIOS and Maleficent didn't needed 1.300 screens to make 30m+ in dollars.

No saying that it was supposed to open only with 400 screens. But I think the same number of CF screens would be enough to make it reach there. I think Dumb and Dumber To needed to open with a lot more screens, since it's a sequel for a popular movie in here. I find it ridiculous what "Paris Filmes" is doing with THG. Even if the sequel wasn't worth it's 959 screens in 2013, they're are STILL forcing it to be their new Twilight.

It wouldn't be, if Katniss was "strong" for me.

your definition of strong has to be revised.

synonymous with strong: convincing, courageous, tough, enthusiastic, stable...

she proved strong in the simple act of offering herself as tribute instead her sister even though herself had not big muscles, and the odds of winning were small.

She showed strong for having survived even doing her best to not having to kill other tributes. (Even so she kills 3)

For you she would only be strong if she had killed all the tributes? 

She is a human like us, has her fears, has her afflictions. This is not a superhero movie.

Edited by MazeRunner23
  • Like 1

I think it's unnecessary. I mean, TFIOS and Maleficent didn't needed 1.300 screens to make 30m+ in dollars.

No saying that it was supposed to open only with 400 screens. But I think the same number of CF screens would be enough to make it reach there. I think Dumb and Dumber To needed to open with a lot more screens, since it's a sequel for a popular movie in here. I find it ridiculous what "Paris Filmes" is doing with THG. Even if the sequel wasn't worth it's 959 screens in 2013, they're are STILL forcing it to be their new Twilight.

I agree, I thought an exaggeration. It seems that Paris Filmes are "forcing" people to watch MJ PART 1. Do not needed that.... But the same has happened before last year with Dawn Part 2, why only discuss this now, with MJ?!

your definition of strong has to be revised.

synonymous with strong: convincing, courageous, tough, enthusiastic, stable...

she proved strong in the simple act of offering herself as tribute instead her sister even though herself had not big muscles, and the odds of winning were small.

She showed strong for having survived even doing her best to not having to kill other tributes. (Even so she kills 3)

For you she would only be strong if she had killed all the tributes? 

She is a human like us, has her fears, has her afflictions. This is not a superhero movie.

Why are you trying to make a discussion about everything with me? I don't think she isn't strong ONLY because she didn't kill people in the games.

The supporting characters were strong for me. They killed people, YET, they protect her, fight for the people of Panem, even if they had no one else to came back for and put their personal lives aside, just to do this. But Katniss was just a frustrating character that only cared about her family and Peeta.

Volunteer for her sister is the only good thing Katniss did. Later, there's nothing else that made me look up to her.

Edited by xSabrinax