SLAM!

Polite Society | April 28th, 2023 | Focus Features | British Action-Comedy | Indian Girl Hones Martial-Arts to Save Older Sister from Getting Married | Premieres at Sundance in January

Polite-Society.jpeg?resize=800,450

That moment when you’re taking an early look at next January’s Sundance film and you encounter a film that a) already has a U.S. release date, and b) has a premise that begs to be experienced in a theater!

We’re talking about a film that criticizes [what I assume to be] arranged marriage, not by traditional means, but through the means of martial-arts action!

And you already know that Focus Features is dropping this in a multiplex near you because they have that deal—they can do a one or two week theatrical release and drop it on VOD immediately after!

This film hasn’t even premiered at Sundance yet and I already know it deserves a thread.

- directed by Nida Manzoor (We Are Lady Parts)

- starring Ritu Arya (The Umbrella Academy)

10 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

Relegated to vod. Should have gotten theatrical.

That's a missed opportunity if so. Focus Features usually puts out a film in theaters for two weeks before giving it VOD. I'd want to see this in theaters so that's a bummer.