kayumanggi

THE SUPER MARIO BROS. MOVIE | 787.1M overseas | 1362.0M worldwide

Germany

€12.3M / 1.215M admits ~ 5-Days OW

Records Broken for the 4-Days Regular Weekend!

1. Biggest Opening In The History Of Illumination
  2. Biggest Opening Of The Year 
  3. 3rd Biggest Opening Of The 2020s behind "007: No Time To Die" &"Avatar: The Way Of Water"
  4. All-Time 3rd Biggest Easter Opening behind "Fast &Furious 7" &"Fast &Furious 8"
  5. All-Time 7th Biggest Opening of April
  • Like 1

ASIA DEBUT (in Comps With MINIONS 2)

+117% | HONG KONG

+64% | TAIWAN 

+1.4% | MAINLAND CHINA 

-18.1% | THAILAND 

-22.6% | SINGAPORE

-45.7% | INDONESIA 

-68% | VIETNAM 

Easter Holidays helped in China &SAR Region but somehow didn't work out in South East Asia. Minions opened on FRI on China vs Wed for Mario.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

is that the usual drop for a kids movie?

I didn't track Vietnam Daily for Minions 2. So, I can't comment at all. But, OW itself being ⅓ of Minions 2. I don't think there is a GA Pull. But, will give a check on 2nd WKend

Debuted No.2 behind Taiwanese Film "Marry My Dead Body" (112K admits OW).

Just give a check. It's 380K OW for Minions 2 | 2nd WKend was 310K | No Way Mario can do Minions given with -72.4% from OW Numbers

From @BoxOfficePro -

Universal’s The Super Mario Bros. Movie debuted with $375.6M globally, the largest animated global opening ever, ahead of Disney’s 2019 Frozen II ($358M).

Mario‘s global opening is also the highest of 2023 so far, far ahead of Disney’s February Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania ($225.3M).

Mario opened in 70 overseas markets to $170.9M. That’s the #2 overseas animated opening of all time, behind Frozen II ($228.2M).

Mario‘s top overseas markets to date are:

• Mexico ($27.8M)
  • U.K. ($19.5M)
  • Germany ($13.4M)
  • China ($11.6M)
  • France ($9.9M)
  • Spain ($8.8M)
  • Australia ($8.1M)
  • Italy ($7.6M)
  • Brazil ($6.9M)

The film has also earned a $204.6M domestic total since opening midweek last Wednesday

• Like 1

Was Easter effect underestimated in some places? I know it's not same date for everyone or obviously celebrated everywhere.

The Mickey Mouse comparison for East Asia is interesting, and yet... aren't Nintendo game sales strong there nonetheless?

I would say the Mickey thing is probably true for most western markets too where a movie about him would not necessarily explode like this even though he is perhaps the greatest 20th century entertainment icon. 

Curious to know then why the East/West divide here for how Mario is perceived, then.

Mario is a cultural icon in Asia. Nintendo has always been popular in Asia, as well as in the rest of Japan.

Europe and the UK in particular have always been Nintendo's weakest markets. Sega dominated the UK once upon a time (the 90s). Europe is the land of the PlayStation. And Nintendo has no market share at all in South America. There wasn’t even a digital store in Brazil until 2020, lol. There’s no official product distribution.

The box office turnout so far has been very interesting. Lopsided in some cases compared to the gaming industry.

Edited by OceanBlvd

39 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

Curious to know then why the East/West divide here for how Mario is perceived, then.

WOM is good. Just SEA Region incl. China is turning into weak spot for Mario &falling behind Minions 2 at Comps. 

Nothing deep but like you all are comparing it's run in Europe/LATAM to Lion King/Frozen(s)/Toy Story. Here, in this region, it's Box Office Numbers are falling behind Minions 2.

39 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

aren't Nintendo game sales strong there nonetheless?

This was explained earlier by Sophie that Fandom couldn't convert into Box Office Numbers.

4 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

The biggest animated movies like The Lion King, Incredibles 2, Finding Dory, Frozen 2, and Shrek 2 all had a high level of adult interest.

I think that's the main difference for animated movies that hit the higher numbers.

Yeah, this is a good point. That's why despite good Score it's lacking GA pull outside Kid's Demography. 

Debut - 

#4 China behind Chan's "Ride On", Shinkai "Suzume" &WOM Booster - Chinese Remake of 1987 Japanese Film "Hachiko"

#2 Thailand behind Local Release "Home for Rent"

#2 Vietnam behind Taiwanese Film"Marry My Dead Body"

Along with demography, It has faced tough challenges from Strong WOM works. It will really have a tough life in BO here.