SLAM!

Y10 Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, tyson67roberts said:

So...I'm back after a year of inactivity, do I have to post my reviews before we can move to part 3?

If you want to do reviews, the more the merrier. We need at least 6-7 of us here to be done with reviews before we go onto the next part. So far, only me, MCKill, Reddroast and Rorschach have done reviews but if you can get cracking at reviews - it would be much appreciated as we could go through the year faster :) 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, tyson67roberts said:

Oh, alright then...also I'm gonna post my reviews here since I can't create a topic, all the options are greyed out since I'm a new account

@Eric is Anxious, our junior admin on the site, might be able help you be able create topics but this work too :)

30 minutes ago, tyson67roberts said:

Oh, alright then...also I'm gonna post my reviews here since I can't create a topic, all the options are greyed out since I'm a new account

You have to make at least 10 posts and then be allowed to make topics.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric is Anxious said:

You have to make at least 10 posts and then be allowed to make topics.

Alright then, that's good to know. Anyways, onto the reviews for Q1 Y10 as well as one older film from Y9.

Older films:

Gran Turismo (Y9) - 7/10, cool sports film. Helps that I've played Gran Turismo before and that I like racing as a sport.

January:

Sony vs. Nintendo - 7/10, it was interesting seeing the rise of the PlayStation in movie form and how it became a juggernaut.
Puckshot - 6/10, nice decent sports film.
Money Heist - 8/10, if you like Rush Hour, you'll like this film too. It's fun.
Toppings: A Pizza Romance - 7/10, I mean, I like Bee Movie (another film of a similar shit-posty status like this), I can like this film too, right?
Operation Finality - 8/10, a solid adventure film where the characters take on vicious monsters. I dig it.

February:

The Valkyries vs. The Galaxy - 9/10, this film is to CAYOM Y10 like Turning Red was to 2022. A cool, exciting animated film that girls can see themselves in and enjoy. The Valkyries and 4Town collab when
The Legend of Hollis Brown - 5/10, shallow characters and kinda thin story make this tedious to watch/read.

A Ghost Tail - 10/10, the beginning was soo sad, and the rest of the movie itself was really fun and the characters were so engaging to watch, probably the best film of Q1

March:

Speed Demon - 8/10, decent supervillain origin story. I dig it, I can see this doing pretty well at the box office even with middling reviews.

Klonoa: Road to Phantomile - 7/10, cute, like the animation style although I've never heard of the game it's based on until this movie. Decent kids film

Gran Turismo 2 - 5/10, not as good as the first film, and it feels more rushed. Almost like this was released 7 months apart from the last movie or something.

Lions and Dragons - 5/10

April - June coming possibly tomorrow?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tyson67roberts said:

Alright then, that's good to know. Anyways, onto the reviews for Q1 Y10 as well as one older film from Y9.

Older films:

Gran Turismo (Y9) - 7/10, cool sports film. Helps that I've played Gran Turismo before and that I like racing as a sport.

January:

Sony vs. Nintendo - 7/10, it was interesting seeing the rise of the PlayStation in movie form and how it became a juggernaut.
Puckshot - 6/10, nice decent sports film.
Money Heist - 8/10, if you like Rush Hour, you'll like this film too. It's fun.
Toppings: A Pizza Romance - 7/10, I mean, I like Bee Movie (another film of a similar shit-posty status like this), I can like this film too, right?
Operation Finality - 8/10, a solid adventure film where the characters take on vicious monsters. I dig it.

February:

The Valkyries vs. The Galaxy - 9/10, this film is to CAYOM Y10 like Turning Red was to 2022. A cool, exciting animated film that girls can see themselves in and enjoy. The Valkyries and 4Town collab when
The Legend of Hollis Brown - 5/10, shallow characters and kinda thin story make this tedious to watch/read.

A Ghost Tail - 10/10, the beginning was soo sad, and the rest of the movie itself was really fun and the characters were so engaging to watch, probably the best film of Q1

March:

Speed Demon - 8/10, decent supervillain origin story. I dig it, I can see this doing pretty well at the box office even with middling reviews.

Klonoa: Road to Phantomile - 7/10, cute, like the animation style although I've never heard of the game it's based on until this movie. Decent kids film

Gran Turismo 2 - 5/10, not as good as the first film, and it feels more rushed. Almost like this was released 7 months apart from the last movie or something.

Lions and Dragons - 5/10

April - June coming possibly tomorrow?

Added your scores to the Metacritic thread. Glad to have another reviewer on board!

The only films that I noticed missing grades from you are Tailypo, Viva Las Vengeance, and Room 131.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Now it's time to review the Q2 films.

Older films:

Crus’n USA (Y7) – 8/10, really fun. I haven’t really played the game it’s based on, but this was really engaging to watch. Maybe it’s the style that this film goes for but there’s a ton of substance as well.

April:

Father vs. Son – 8/10, kinda like John Wick but with a huge twist. People will definitely eat this one up.

Cruis'n World – 7/10, it is like the first film but more absurd. It does maintain the style of being a older, comfort racing film that you can just pick up from the first, though I will ask – how do they get their cars up to the moon and race them?

The Enormous Radio – 7/10, it is kinda creepy in its implications (a radio being able to pick up other people’s conversations) but it succeeds in what it is – a serious drama film.

Penpal – 10/10, what a watch/read. Far and away the best film of the year so far.

Stallions – 7/10, I like horses, interesting to see a whole documentary about them.

May:

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas – 9/10, very faithful to the game it’s based on, can’t do a better job than this.

Doraemon – 5/10, it would’ve been better if it were animated like the Doraemon series it’s based on.

The Siege of Savage – 7/10, interesting to see a caveman supervillain in this. Also I should note that they got Bill Hader as Plastic-Man? Interesting choice...he steals the show

12 Angry Veggies: A VeggieTales Movie – 6/10, weird as hell. 12 Angry Men and VeggieTales make an interesting combination to say the least...

June:

Old Men Walking – 7/10, what The Legend of the Hollis Brown should’ve been. A fun cowboy romp, although I’m not a huge fan of the casting, going for Adam Sandler as the main cowboy Tiff.

Flesh – 8/10, very interesting concept of people time traveling and hunting dinosaurs for food in the future. I like the fact that it is hand-drawn and the characters (particularly Reagan) were likeable enough to carry their film, and Old One Eye is a good villain.

LittleBigPlanet – 8/10, another PlayStation game-based animated film. This one being more of a true adventure film exploring the creativity of the world this game takes place in, even though I’ve never played the original games it’s based on either. It’s pretty good, Sackboy was a likeable enough character.

The Secrets That Love Brings - 7/10

Edited by tyson67roberts
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Greatly appreciate the Penpal rave @tyson67roberts! ❤️  

On 6/19/2024 at 10:26 PM, Rorschach said:

The only films that I noticed missing grades from you are Tailypo, Viva Las Vengeance, and Room 131.

Also, I noticed that you missed three more films from Q2 – Time After Time, The Set-Up, and Berserk: The Golden Age – along with the other three from Q1 in the quoted post above. I'll add all of new grades to the aggregate tonight, but please be sure to @ me in this thread your scores for the films once you've read them. Thank you! 😊 

• Like 2

@Rorschach Here are the films I forgot to review last time:

Tailypo – 9/10, this was surprisingly good. You feel the pain and horror in Smitty as he loses his dogs that he loved for years by the Tailypo himself.

Room 131 - 8/10

Viva Las Vengeance – 6/10….OK?

Time After Time – 7/10, kinda fun, also the ending is a bit weird. I feel bad for Amy

The Set-Up – 8/10, it succeeds in what it tries to be, a funny rom-com that makes you laugh and care for the relationships of others.

Berserk: A Golden Age – 6/10, not really my thing, though I do appreciate how well-made the film is. I heard that Zach Snyder is a controversial director to say the least and this could be one of his better films. I bet it’s winning Best Animated Feature this year.

Also, you didn't update the Metacritic scores last night :/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, tyson67roberts said:

@Rorschach Here are the films I forgot to review last time:

Tailypo – 9/10, this was surprisingly good. You feel the pain and horror in Smitty as he loses his dogs that he loved for years by the Tailypo himself.

Room 131 - 8/10

Viva Las Vengeance – 6/10….OK?

Time After Time – 7/10, kinda fun, also the ending is a bit weird. I feel bad for Amy

The Set-Up – 8/10, it succeeds in what it tries to be, a funny rom-com that makes you laugh and care for the relationships of others.

Berserk: A Golden Age – 6/10, not really my thing, though I do appreciate how well-made the film is. I heard that Zach Snyder is a controversial director to say the least and this could be one of his better films. I bet it’s winning Best Animated Feature this year.

Also, you didn't update the Metacritic scores last night 😕

My apologies, I got distracted last night by some other things. It's all updated now! 

I bet it’s winning Best Animated Feature this year.

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952ory4gndodnx29040j6