Eric Duncan

Bob Marley: One Love (2024)

Bob Marley: One Love (2024)  

3 members have voted

1. 1. What’d You Think?

My mom saw this. She was never a fan of Marley. Called me last night saying that her and her sister were on their way to the movies, but didn't know what to watch. It was "the Bob Marley movie or something about a spider web." They were leaning towards the spider web movie but once I told them it was a "superhero movie" they said no way, even thought they didn't really want to see One Love.

She called me this morning telling me how much the movie made her cry. "I didn't realize just what a good person he was, and how young he was." So I guess even non-Marley fans can really enjoy this.

• Like 4

I found this to be an oddly made movie. It gives off the vibe of a limited TV series that got hacked down to movie length, as it's incredibly rushed at just 107 minutes, jumping from one chapter of Bob Marley's brief time alive to another without much vibrancy while embracing the cliches typically found within the genre. Also, there's not nearly enough of his music as one would hope, as his songs are largely sampled in doses, which negates the entire selling point of estate-approved musician biopics. Kingsley Ben-Adir gives a fine performance (as does the always dependable Lashana Lynch in an underutilized turn as Rita Marley), but the movie's superficial approach to Marley's life leaves him doing little more than an imitation instead of creating a fleshed out individual.

Bob Marley was a truly remarkable and influential artist who left us far too soon. He also deserves a much less run of the mill movie about his life than this.

C

• Like 2